Signal: what are you using?

I think @Hristo is right. The timestamp of your quote precedes that of @Hristo.

Lastly, it is mentioned in the Arch website discussion :

hotschi commented on 2023-01-11 19:46 (UTC)

@mkurz Thanks a lot for your help! With your patch I was finally able to build and run this package on Asahi-Linux!

Knowing that Asahi Linux is a Linux OS for Macbook with M1 chips (so ARM64)

No, that patch may work on aarch64, as that poster says, but at the time of this writing, aarch64 is not supported in the AUR package.

The comment that Hristo mentioned was thanking someone who was not the package maintainer, so they must’ve tried the patch themselves.

1 Like

Anybody know how to make the signal-desktop sidebar smaller so it’s useable?

I’ve been using @elagost’s flatpak, and recently I notice that on my pinephone pro (still waiting for librem5) after a flatpak update it’s gone back to having a huge sidebar on the left that lists the contacts, and a tiny space on the right for actually composing messages. That makes it perhaps effectively impossible to use (certainly not elagost’s fault, they have still been kindly pushing releases from signal even though they’ve stopped using it themselves). I neglected to do a flatpak update for a long while, so it’s not necessarily a recent release that triggered it.

I think last time I somehow configured that to be just about useable on this screen size, but now I can’t figure it out. Not sure if it’s me forgetting what config option to set, or some upstream change.

Any clues here? I have “Hide menu bar” selected, but that didn’t seem to change anything.

This problem only occurs in portrait orientation I think. In landscape, I can see the right hand view with the messages a reasonable size.

In the past though, the onscreen keyboard has often covered the text entry area, meaning you end up typing blind. So I’m still keen to find a solution for portrait orientation.

Incidentally: sometimes when I type in the text entry area, nothing shows up. So far, restarting the app seems to cure that one.

You can plug in a mouse and shrink the panel and it should remember that. I will build the next update with fixed patches from the original arm64 Signal maintainer. Personally I don’t use Signal anymore so this is best-effort. My apologies for the breakage.

5 Likes

Latest release is published. It at least launches but I can’t see about the sidebar since I don’t have an account. Theoretically it’s fixed. If someone could let me know one way or the other, I’d appreciate it!

2 Likes

I’ve been using the Flatpak myself as well. Much better solution. Before I was using a custom compiled version found on the mobian repo. It was annoying though because updates are not advertized and you had to go get the deb yourself. With the flatpak that is all bundled, and it has been great.

I have found that this version works really well on the L5 screen. You have the contacts sidebar to as low as it can go, and then make sure the composer option has Signal set to be fitted. Beyond that, sometimes the client will stop responding to virtual keyboard input. Simply close it and reopen and it will work again.

This has worked really well.

Now that I have Waydroid working on the L5, I suppose I could try creating a new account using Signal there, but I’m not sure how I could link the two accounts. I’m going to try this evening though.

I had the L5 with me at work, so I got the Signal apk from the Signal website and installed it on Waydroid. At work my cellular modem never works because I’m so close to a border. But I was able to get it to send an SMS, etc, despite missing Google services.

I believe I will totally be able to register the account on this phone.
Then it will just be a matter of linking the account to the desktop client.

After that you don’t even need the waydroid client anymore.

Home, and it works. Signal on the Librem 5 sudo native.

1 Like

So to sum it up because it gets a little bit confusing.

1. You have installed:
    Signal Desktop for arm64 using:

sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists signal-arm https://elagost.com/flatpak/signal.flatpakrepo
    sudo flatpak install signal-arm org.signal.Signal

2. Then you have installed Waydroid and the official Signal for Android in the Waydroid.

3. You use the official Signal for Android inside the Waydroid for one single purpose - in order to register an account in Signal so that you can use the desktop version of Signal.

4. Then you use the desktop version from Elagost.

Did you moved on to Matrix?

Exactly. And it works well. You could technically just use Signal within Waydroid only as well. Kind of clunky though.

2 Likes

XMPP. Matrix is a mess, far too complicated and difficult and still very young. XMPP is simple and easy and available everywhere. The clients are better than the Matrix clients that exist too.

1 Like

Heck yes! XMPP all the way. Dino runs great on the L5 as well. However, does this mean you are no longer maintaining the Signal desktop client flatpak?

It’s “best effort”. When new releases come out I build them. It’s built by CI, and I test to make sure each release opens before I promote it from the CI repo to the main on you all are probably using. That doesn’t take much effort. But I can’t get beyond the qr code screen on account of not having an account.

If someone with a webserver and gitlab or sr.ht account wants to take over I will gladly show you how and hand over the keys.

3 Likes

How can you register the desktop version on the Librem 5 with the waydroid app on the same phone because you have to scan the QR code. Without the camera working how do you do this?

1 Like

I suppose that is a good point. We need the L5 camera working with Waydroid.

1 Like

No, I don’t need that. I’ve not spent $600 for my beloved L5 and waited 4 years for it to now run Android and its app on it.

1 Like

Bummer, because run Android it does. Signal works well there from what I can tell as well. Cruel world right?

To be fair, de-googled Android is the equivalent of running Pure OS from a software security and privacy stand point. So running Waydroid on your L5, beloved or not, is not an ideological problem at least.

Well the question is why?
I don’t like Android because it could collect my data or allow apps to collect my data and do things that are out of my control.
But all there problems are solved if I would be able to feed Android with fake data.
Sandbox with fake geo data, fake accelerometer data, fake IMSI and fake IMEI data, no microphone and no camera data when not explicitly switched on, no direct Internet connection, fake MAC addresses of the network interfaces ect. ect. - under these circumstances Android is very well welcome. Warmest welcome.
To run Android on a VM inside Librem 5 is for me the most killer feature possible if done well and with bells and whistles like the above mentioned.

In order to be invisible in the virtual World, it is beneficial to be just part of the mass. Just another Android user out there that does not stand out in any way. One of the many.
When you just use Librem 5, you stand out in the mass as a deviation. As one of the several thousand Librem 5 users around the World. So out of 8 Billion people, your true identity gets pin pointed to just one in several Thousand.

3 Likes

Great idea, I will try it, but I should point out that I’m sure this is not what I did the last time so I don’t know if there’s any change here or not.

All I know is somehow (can’t remember how!) I managed to make the left sidebar smaller before in portrait orientation, and now I can’t figure out how I did that.

@elagost Resizing with a mouse worked perfectly, using your flatpak with version 6.1.0. I’ll try updating to whatever the new version is later (er at least 10 minutes later: I locked myself out, flatpak itself seems to have some unusual authentication behaviour…).

Edit: OK, still works fine with 6.2.0!