Simcom SIM7600G-H alternative modem for L5 tested

Maybe I misunderstood you, what modem have you been using meanwhile, yet another global one?

I went back to the regular. This was just an experiment when I had it on loan. Depending how things go, I might possibly have slight chance to do testing around December-January, maybe.
As a possible alternative, I think better might be: [Update: Mar 25th] Testing Quectel EM12-G WWAN 4G Modem on Librem 5

Thanks for that pointer, I think you’re right that it might possibly work better, beyond fitting without hardware modding. Because comparing the specs I now found that Simcom did not mention VoLTE anywhere, but the EM12-G does. However, both specs say <20mA in idle and <5mA in active sleep.

What about this bad boy, it’s 5G.

That model is 10mm too long to fit to L5. There are many modems that are 5G but have wrong dimensions or they have missing features because they are mostly not meant for voice calls (5G does not automatically mean it works).

1 Like

ah ok, too bad.

1 Like

And then there’s the question of the antenna… Wouldn’t 5G require a different kind?

3 Likes

I would think so, but it depends on which 5G, there is quite a spectrum of frequencies that are employed for 5G I think.

3 Likes

As long as it is a “5G NSA” (non-stand-alone) modem, I would pretty much expect there is some option to only use (or prefer) the LTE network. Even for modems supporting “5G SA”, I mean it has usually always been possible to switch back, e.g. to using only GSM service.

1 Like