SIMple/AweSIM down

Hopefully they’d refund. If not, I’d abandon awesim with a quickness. Probably file some complaints too, especially if there’s some sort of contract involved (I don’t know that there is, and in fact I doubt there is one).

2 Likes

Yes, they have said they will credit me back for the entire period that the service was down. Still not sure why they would be charging in the first place though.

Nope, no contracts involved other than the initial form where you transfer your number to Purism.

2 Likes

Being as they appear to be not charging everyone I’m inclined to believe you being charged then refunded is a clerical error and nothing more.

I’m actually curious which one of us has the clinical error. I haven’t been charged since May 2022, though I’ve remained active during that time and continued to receive service (at least until the outage). My account currently shows active with a next payment date of Jan 2023. I don’t believe its a credit card issue, Librem 1 still hits my card every month without fail.

1 Like

Hi, since I only ordered this sim when my consumer cellular sim failed and new sims I got stopped handling voice calls on my phone ( it seems that all replacement sim’s were now volte and could not call )… Does anyone have a pay as you go sim that is known to work with the librem 5 until purism gets the service issues resolved and can ship new sim cards? Even sip/ voip is not working enough to allow to me stay data only on this librem5 which I am still using despite only calls via a web browser lol. some people are starting to be displeased with not reaching me :wink:

Any T-mobile-based MVNO should approve the BM818-A1 for activation:

Of course, if you don’t enable VoLTE, which hasn’t been officially implemented yet in the -A1, and which I think is still experimental, you won’t have reliable (or possibly any) calling capability.

I hear Tello is quite cheap, but whether the call/SMS/data buckets/vs/price fit your particular needs, you’ll have to judge.

See also
https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Cellular-Providers

There’s maybe also the JMP.chat + Gajim route: VOIP with jmp.chat and gajim

I actually signed up for jmp.chat and it worked a few times… but after that… all calls are silent in both directions… (it does work when I use the same account info on my desktop) I also added a voipms sip account… and that one worked on the phone only halfway (destination callled their audio comes through but your audio is not sent)
I have always preferred the simplicity of IAX2 to sip… but that’s a whole different thing :wink:

Well, I’ve decided to finally cancel AwSIM and give regular T-mobile a try. Hopefully it works well in the L5. If I decide I like it, I’m going to switch over my iPhone as well. I can get 2 unlimited plans for the cost of 1 AweSIM plan. Hopefully Purism can get their service restored, but my patience has simply run out.

4 Likes

I had consumer cellular that worked when it was seen as t-mobile but did not work on the librem when it was ATT Volte if I could just get and older consumer cellular sim I am sure I would be set LOL.

With jmp.chat you can use xmpp for voice instead of sip. In my experience it’s a better experience and I haven’t had any issues with audio like you described.

ahh interesting… well the people at jmp.chat were the ones that told me with the librem5 it would only work with sip and they walked me though getting this sip setup… I have not had a reliable experience yet… but am willing to try just about anything LOL

There’s a Dino client with voice support and the mobile interface tweaks out there. It’s not great, but it’s not terrible.

I have tried the calls app built in xmpp , dino (never found dialing options) , and Gajim but I cloud not get calls to work I only knew calls were ringing because a browser I had open to https://movim.chatterboxtown.us . I suspect I am just not getting the right settings for dino or Gajim to let the calls go through

To make a call in Dino you have to start a conversation with whatever contact you want to call, and then hit the call button.

1 Like

I have yet to find a call button… just lets me text the number

I would highly recommend asking JMP support (per the Support link at the top right of JMP’s website) about this.

In the meantime, since I coincidentally happened to be reading this thread, you should ensure the version of Dino you have is at least 0.3 - earlier versions don’t support calls.

I don’t get notified when JMP is mentioned on these forums, so if people can message JMP support when they see JMP inquiries like this in public forums (whether you initiated the inquiry or not), it would help us out a lot. Thanks!

(disclosure: I am the founder of JMP)

2 Likes

And a Librem5 owner, right? :slight_smile:

Yes, that is correct! I don’t use it much, though, as I decided between ordering and receiving it to go “no phone”. But I like to support people trying to make better phones for those who can’t.

4 Likes

I just managed to download that deb file and put in on there but I have not seen a difference yet but let’s just say I am not known for giving up…

ok so I finally noticed the updated version of dino from their site does let me click to answer calls when they are coming in (but there is no ring sound)… and then after a 10- 20 second delay you can hear both sides of conversation… So in addition to no ring sound… I cant yet figure how to initiate calls … yet it’s the only thing above using google voice in a web browser I have so far LOL

1 Like