SIP Phone Providers

Keep working! I just got my 91 year old mother to switch from G00gle hangouts to telegram. Not only more private but higher quality video chats.

3 Likes

Heh I moved my family to telegram just in time to discover xmpp. The battle continues…

3 Likes

May I ask why Telegram and not Signal?

1 Like

Pure practicality. I originally wanted to put both on it (as a backup) but there were issues with her cell phone number so I used one of mine. After I set her up with Telegram, I realized everybody whom I know who has that number would show up on Signal, so I didn’t set her up with Signal. When I go to see her the next time I hope to add Signal as well.

1 Like

jmp.chat is a good service

3 Likes
3 Likes

Hello:

I utlize a JMP.chat number through the SIP service on Gnome-Calls. It worked for a long time but now, with the latest modem updates, I can call out using this service but the recipient either (1) can’t hear me (most often the issue) or (2) there is a very loud clicking noise on their end.

Any help on how to improve this situation?

I am a little bit concerned about the future (even the near future) of SIP calling. Using SIP services, anyone can show up on caller ID as whoever they want to be identified as. Junk solicitation callers use this feature to get past our phone number blocking abilities. There’s no reason for you to block junk callers when they call you now. The next time they call you, they’ll be some other randomly selected number anyway. To combat this abuse of the public phone networks, the FCC has already mandated phone carriers to implement “STIR/SHAKEN” technology. I think we’re still seeing the grace period on that now. You can do a search to learn more about STIR/SHAKEN. Basically, that technology authenticates the identity of every caller, to the recipient of the call. Big companies like Google Voice will probably adapt without having to give up any features. But little SIP provider companies and individuals will either have to make huge Capital investments, or go out of the SIP business. Sometime soon, unauthicated SIP calls simply won’t go through anymore. The intended recipient’s phone will never ring.

The good side of that is that all of the junk robocalls will go away. The down side is that the do-it-yourself phone carriers and all of the associated benefits of doing it that way, will likely all disappear over night.

2 Likes

I just setup a JMP.chat account through Snicker, with my own domain and a vanity phone number. I’m looking forward to making/receiving calls/text on all my devices, but I’m not sure what to do next. I tried to set it up as SIP using Calls, but it doesn’t connect.

Anyone have insight on how to set this up?

Let’s be clear: The grace period to implement STIR/SHAKEN is over (by April/22). However the enforcement is unknown.
But you can evaluate the attestation on your incoming calls. Asterisk’s implementation is still broken unfortunately.
STIR/SHKEN has not (yet) make the robocalls go away. Some calls disappeared because of FCC enforcement though (some notoriously bad SIP provider got banned).

I still wish there was an SIP provider which would allow me to block calls at provider level for all calls where the STIR/SHAKEN attestation fails.

Hello:

I never got a response on this. I tried using the Dino and JMP.chat and it isn’t working. I did download the Dino 3.0 version which has call capability. No matter, it still doesn’t work.

Any help on this would be most appreciated. JMP.chat did work very well with the Call app for quite some time. Then it stopped working. I reached out to the cheogram.com help desk and they blamed it on Purism or Calls, etc.

Callcentric.

https://www.callcentric.com/features/call_treatments

You have to set it up to use xmpp, if you haven’t already.

Yeah,
they all can do that, but not based on STIR/SHKEN attestation…
I am looking specifically for that.

Isn’t that implemented by the VOIP provider’s underlying carrier, i.e. Bandwidth, etc.?

Well it is a bit like DKIM for email. You basically sign your SIP header to attest you actually own the callerID you are submitting.
All spam/robo calls which fake the callerID have one thing in common, they fail the STIR/SHAKEN attestation.

1 Like

I have not. How do you set “it” up to use XMPP? It asked for my JID account and entered that in. That is all I did. I tried playing with the setting in Dino and they are not real helpful.

“It” is jmp. Message “configure calls” to “cheogram.com” (no @) and follow the prompts.

I have done that. Still not working. Everything says it is “Active” on JMP.chat’s end.

As an update to this. I am not giving up. However, I moved today to Movim through the Firefox browser. I made a WebApp and can make calls and MMS through it. Pretty cool.

https://mov.im

1 Like

I wanted to update everyone on my experience using JMP.chat service (cheogram.com and chatterboxtown.us) and Mov.im.

The XMPP chat and voice calling service through Movim has been fantastic. Very clear calls. My family and friends can call me and I can call them. I can call internationally to my brother in Paris. All for $3.00 a month. I can send texts with SMS and MMS. Everything has just “worked”, thus far, with not much tinkering. Such a huge improvement over my XMPP calling and chat experience through Gnome-Calls, Dino, Linphone, and Gajim. It even transcribes the voice message for me so I can read it. Pretty cool.

I installed Movim as a web application using the Linux Mint webapp manager tool. Works flawlessly. Renders correctly. I could not be much happier.

The cons are that it is difficult to hear it ringing. Also, when I call someone there is no ring tone at all. People just pick up and start talking. It is a bit disconcerting.

Overall, cool experience. Very happy with it. I find myself using it more than cellular.

I should note that I only got it working through Firefox browser. It did not work in Chromium and I did not try on the Epiphany, Gnome-Web browser.

7 Likes