Sip / voip on the librem5 calls app

Hi, I have been attempting to use sip in the voip accounts on the calls app of the librem5 using jmp.chat which worked when I first signed up, but now the audio does not go through on either side… Also note, that if I register on different device the accounts / calls work fine… I also have noticed these little alerts that say the sip username @ jmp.xxxxxx.auth.bandwidth.com: contact not found pop up for a second which I am unsure if it’s related… Does anyone have this working on their librem5 (mine did for a few days)

Any experience/ suggestions with this would be much appreciated…

Net Nut

1 Like

The lead Dev of jmp.chat has a Librem5, you may want to check with their support forum (xmpp group) if you need some clarification.

Regarding people here having it running, we’ve had a few threads over the past months, here’s one for example ( I linked to the group chat section)

1 Like

I can’t speak to jmp.chat. But I do have a SIP account set up on my Librem 5 and I just tried it and it worked. I had audio going both ways. Also note that my Librem 5 is up-to-date on all packages.

Since I am not using jmp.chat, my call working may mean little to nothing for you. But at least you know that VoIP/SIP can work on the Librem 5 today.

6 Likes

I had the same problem. Also, when I choose to call via my SIM card phone number vs JMP.chat, the call often still goes through JMP.chat. I usually had to manually turn off VoIP. I can confirm that calls work well through other clients, so the issue is with the purism calls app.

yes, I also had that sympton as well as it also appears that occasionally the audio starts working for a short time again… and then it goes back to silent… a bit frustrating

1 Like

again early today it worked flawless… then a hour or so later… no audio… would be nice to know how to debug it

1 Like

I’m trying jmp.chat too since I can’t get VoLTE to work. Incoming calls ring, but no audio if I answer. I can’t make outbound calls.

Trying to figure out how to debug this too.

Their help staff is pretty good, they’ve helped me before. You’ll have to wait til Monday though.

2 Likes

@rpm > I’m trying jmp.chat too since I can’t get VoLTE to work. Incoming calls ring, but no audio if I answer. I can’t make outbound calls.

Trying to figure out how to debug this too. mine has same symptoms… did you find a fix?

Glad to hear I am not the only one having problems!

Haven’t made much progress. The guys in the jmp chat think that the librem phone app was only tested with jmp’s first configuration. Sounded like they had switched something not too long ago. So I tried to use the same SIP details with linphone and that responded with invalid credentials when trying to make a call. I tried several different adjustments and even reset my SIP settings with JMP and nothing worked.

Now I’m investigating using dino to make calls without SIP and not having much luck with that either. I’ve installed dino 0.3 (adds the calling feature) but can’t find button to start call. incoming calls answer, but haven’t been able to test audio yet.

You have to start a chat with that number and the call button should be there. @2disbetter has been messing with it, but if I recall something is up with the audio.