Size comparison to other phones

Perhaps someone could get a protective case for the phone to market a bit faster?

With only 3 measurements of this type?
It’s very unlikely.
Especially since the design is not finalized, particularly in terms of switches cap and position.

WTF !? This phone is going to be powered by an 18650 cell ?? Whaaaat the … are 18650 cells made for cell phones?

I would like to have the size of iPhone 5s/SE, with all front screen, which will be around 4,5". Good pocketable size for a phone, with all heavy stuff possible when connected to external monitor/mouse/keyboard. Don’t need to be super slim, good battery is a must.

1 Like

The 18650 cell was only for the Dev Kit. 18650 cells are cylindrical and waste too much space to be used in cell phones. Nicole Faerber told us that that preliminary dimensions in the Librem 5 is 15mm thick, so an 18650 cell won’t fit in the Librem 5. Looking at the photos of the circuit board, it looks like the Librem 5 will have a square 3500 mAh lithium polymer battery:

3 Likes

Ohhh ok I was gonna say how cool! I cant just get a set of 18650s and a small tool kit and swamp batteries out like nothing . I saw one of the latest graphical representations of the L5 and it looked fat enough to house an 18650 .

So old stock BB10 Passport batteries? That phone would last a good while!

In otherthread it became clear that 18650 was too big and Purism would have to go with this idea… :wink:

(And here is another comparison to other phones too via search Phone Case for Librem 5! Who could make a great case?)

2 Likes

That counts as user replaceable batteries right?

2 Likes

Gee, if they only used AAAA, they could probably squeeze in another 1.5 V! Ha Ha.
Perhaps the screen on this thing might be TFT rather than modern day LED as well. The picture is cute, but the idea is a bit ridiculous. Good fun though.

We just need to add a battery hump to the case, so there is enough space for some 18650 batteries.

That way people will be suitably impressed by the large lump in our pockets.

4 Likes

Lithium ion is certainly a nice step up from Alkaline. I would not keep even the 18650 in my pocket however given Lithium’s inherent volatility. I would not want my sweat to get anywhere near the thing! I don’t mind warm things by my privates, but not of this type!

If the battery connector is generic enough and the phone doesn’t use some obscure amp or voltage, in the future I see the possibility that the energy unit might be replaceable with something else - really anything from that AAA-joke to mini reactors (with a built in cable that you can connect to your car if it needs a jump-start [edit: scratch that, cables for defibrillation + a software AED / resuscitation instructor via gyro]). One can dream… :thinking:

How about a mini Nuclear Plant inside the phone? That might be a bit unsafe to put in your pocket and would certainly be hard to take to the airport for a trip, but it certainly is a good reductio ad absurdum here. ROTFLOL

mini open-hardware Iron-man-arc-reactor prototype for the L5 anyone ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tell me if you find one on the market. Perhaps they have a prototype at MIT?

1 Like

yes but open-hardware it is not :sweat_smile:

I was thinking more along the lines of hydrogen fuel cell, after they’ve matured and miniaturized but I’ll take one of those too, if you find someone who has more than one to sell.

1 Like

Leaves a water trail which messes with the circuitry.

i’ll gladly share if i find one such person. who is John Galt ?