@Some_dude36 these are old pictures.
@Some_dude36 these are old pictures.
Yea , I was referring to the side profile of what we can expect. Ive seen the new front facing image . Unfortunately there are side side or rear profile of that iteration .
Often a consideration is to see some similar sized phone, if one has been made either current or in the past.
Some product of a past application might often be repurposed.
For screen protector, I would buy whatever from mall that has closest matching size, maybe a little bigger than phone’s screen and cut it out until it fits, that if purism doesn’t sell a matching size phone’s screen protector.
I searched on vaguely similar size (there is no exact match - but then again, there are no verified measurements either). Width in most cases needs to be almost exact, height may be bit longer and thickness may allow a maybe a 1-2mm either way - depending on how elastic or rigid the case is. Circumference (of some direction - often sideways, including the two sides and back width) is often the key and two out of three dimensions need to be pretty close for the case to hold on (if no glue or mechanisms). Closest to “147.1x73.3x15mm” were such celebrated phones as (I’ve removed ones with odd features/humps):
- Plum Gator 4 (146.6 x 75.9 x 14 mm) [only 0.5mm shorter and sides+back only 0.6mm more]
- Cat S31 (146 x 74.4 x 12.6 mm)
- Kyocera DuraForce Pro (148.4 x 73.4 x 12.9 mm)
- Archos Saphir 50X (146.6 x 76 x 13 mm)
- Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 (150.2 x 73.4 x 13.5 mm)
- Land Rover Explore (152 x 75.3 x 14 mm
- Samsung I9500 Fraser (153.9 x 76.4 x 14.8 mm)
- Plum Gator 5 (148 x 76.3 x 12 mm)
- Cat S41 (152 x 75 x 12.9 mm)
- ZTE Axon M (150.9 x 71.6 x 12.2 mm)
- BLU Tank Xtreme Pro (147.5 x 71.5 x 12.7 mm)
- BLU Energy Diamond (147.5 x 71.5 x 12.7 mm)
- verykool s757 (148 x 77 x 12.8 mm)
(edit: have to love the names in this category )
All cases need modding, as buttons and camera holes are in wrong spots. Most are already rugged design, which limits case availablity. Also apparently with less market comes less good/quality choices. I only used ebay as a reference, but maybe someone will find something interesting from another source. Pouches and belt holsters and such are easy to find, but nothing really protective.
Examples (no model or store endorsed, may not fit):
- Stretches to cover corners, multiple colors, will fit (think Borat bathing suit ): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAND-BUMPER-EDGE-SOFT-CASE-COVER-SKIN-FOR-BLU-Tank-Xtreme-Pro/293105353965?var=591967528480&hash=item443e70c4ed:g:kjIAAOSwJnxctjdH
- TPU in black, but holes are not right, might fit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Case-for-Cat-S31-Smartphone-Cell-Phone-Protector-Cover-TPU-Rubber-Black/383086331708?epid=23013430070&hash=item5931b9873c:g:7tgAAOSwZvRaYdGt
- General use wallet, glue type, should fit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Archos-Saphir-50X-protective-case-black-cover-bag-wallet-flipstyle-Case-Cove/132736123554?hash=item1ee7b082a2:g:RhgAAOSwoutctN25
- General use wallet, pouch type, should fit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Caterpillar-Cat-S31-protective-case-bag-cover-with-screen-protection/132701058940?epid=11026290782&hash=item1ee599777c:g:dcwAAOSwrINc3Hzs
- Wallet with TPU: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Case-for-Cat-S31-Smartphone-Book-Style-Protective-Case-Phone-Case-Book-Green/123838007221?hash=item1cd55207b5:g:dlwAAOSw86JaYdH5
- Hardest (not that protective) case: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kickstand-Case-Cover-Belt-Clip-Holster-for-Kyocera-Duraforce-Pro-E6810-E6820/292764930213?hash=item442a2650a5:m:mv_2ReI-B03g5SliLBl2VgQ
If you find a good case made for these phones, link here. But I think any good case needs to be made specifically for L5.
Well, it was an idea and the Samsung model listed as 19500 Fraser might even make do, though I would not rely on it working out.
As noted by others however, dimensions not yet fully set as per Nicole Faeber, the CTO. How this might be the case is beyond me, though I do not claim to be a smartphone expert. Nonetheless, shell design was important to a laptop that I had worked towards implementation some years ago and its shell was clear months in advance.
Well, that was already two weeks ago.
The pictures included in the announcement toot look a bit like a prototype (seemingly missing power and volume buttons), but they still have almost two weeks left to iterate and fine-tune on them, giving us the best possible result even in Aspen, as the final milling should be a matter of hours (for the first ~100).
Although I don’t think that will have any real effect on the final dimensions (0.1mm … 1mm).
But the main thing is that Nicole probably has other priorities than knowing the exact final dimensions by heart. I would not read anything into that.
You may wish to commission an artist/maker on etsy?
I made good experiences with Mooncases. I am not sure if Mooncase is only the trader or the manufacturer.
- The phone is quite safe because of the rubber and plastics.
- The display is free. I like that because I can access it quickly and uncomplicated. I never had scratched screens. If you would like to there are screen protection foils.
- It’s got a foldable stand. So you can place the phone in portrait mode on your desk or wherever.
- It’s not too slippery.
- The sockets and camera are free and quick to access.
- I have seen it with rubber on some buttons for protection. In one case it is a bit hard to push the button, but that’s one I don’t use. I’ve also seen variants with a gap in the rubber where the button is.
- Because it is made of multiple components I was able to add a sling between the rubber and the plastic part so that the phone is safe when holding it for taking a picture and pushing the buttons on screen simultaniously.
- It looks cool. I get regularly asked: “What’s that phone?”, but it is only the cover.
Here are examples from Amazon Germany:
This is a variant I do not have experience with:
Seems Moonstore is the trader which is developing their own brand Mooncase at Shenzen China.
I’m pretty sure there will be cases on the market very soon
Latest pics show a raised curved screen. That would be more prone to edge cracks. Anybody making a case yet as phone is now shipping/
Why use a case? These things are so cheap compared to modern flagship phones, they’re practically throw-around technology. /s(?)
$600 for the the Librem 5 is NOT cheap me me! Maybe to you it is. For me a case/screen protector is important as accidents do happen.
Maybe you missed “/s” in the previous post.
What did I miss? “/s” ?
Although I’m such a geek that I sat and tried to figure out how sed would parse /s(?)
jon.armani must be playing with us.
I doubt a manufacturer of cases deals with custom design for small vendors. If you can get an Otter Case for this you are a better man than I am. Incase is a nice company too, but they are Apple-centric. One can always plop dimensions into Amazon and see if something pops up.
Just a good screen cover would probably suffice with it having a full metal case.
I learned something new today ( sarcasm /s thing) !
Screen cover might always be trimmed to size, though the glass screen covers will not easily cut with typical glass cutters. There is a tool for this though I am darned if I know where it might be gotten. However there is this 3M kit that can be ordered which can be adjusted by a consumer to any supposed screen:
Also acrylic screen material can be cut to size with a craft knife.