Smart device apps

I am curious how much work has been done to get linux to work with smart devices like existing watches.

Personally I would love to have an open watch and I do have a pinetime, but just curious about other brands.

Thanks

1 Like

I have a Bangle.js 2, which is supported with Chromium’s Web Bluetooth on Linux Phones (so… well, it works, but it’s definitely not perfect).

Another open source smart watch that comes to mind is the Watchy, no idea how well it’s integrated.

2 Likes

Alright didn’t know about watchy that is pretty cool. I wonder if any nice watch exists that is more traditional looking. I really like the miceahl kors design.

You best bet would be to find an Android watch that matches the style, and use https://asteroidos.org/, though I don’t know how well integrated it is into Linux currently.

I have a Watchy and am super happy with it! A word if warning though: be prepared to implement whatever functionality you need yourself in C++. And it’s not waterproof.

On the other hand the battery lasts for a week, I was able to display the weather forecast (with temperature curves and hourly rain forecasts) and my calendar appointments (abbreviated in a way that people looking at my watch don’t know what they mean!)

I’m planning to make it connect to my phone using BLE to display notifications and live train schedules with delay notifications (from a daemon running on the phone) but I need to learn how to do the BLE part first. I’m using this tutorial for inspiration.

What I’m trying to say is that it’s fully hackable and you can make it do whatever you want as long as you have the time and the know-how. Highly recommended :star::star::star::star::star:

2 Likes