Software app manager... Flathub removal and an extra GIMP?

Hi! A little back story for this two-fold query…

Since I was initially unaware that an inaugural update and upgrade of a new Librem15v3 was required to be able to install things via GNOME Software, when my first attempt to install GIMP failed, I downloaded a flatpak version directly from the Flathub website instead. (It seemed like the next best/easiest option at the time. I now know camps are somewhat divided about flatpaks, but hopefully that won’t derail things.:slight_smile:) That installation seemed to stall however, so I aborted it (I don’t know what --if anything-- of it actually got installed).
I then found out about and did the update and full upgrade, and eventually was able to install GIMP via Software after all. It seems to be working fine, but…

1 . Now, when I open Software, it lists a glut of packages available from Flathub. I’d prefer to stick with what is available via pureos-green-main for the time being, and would like to remove the Flathub repo, but it is not listed in Other Software in Software & Updates. Where is it hiding?

That said, I was wondering if the PureOS folks would consider adding a Sort by Repo function to the Software application manager (in addition to the existing Top Rated and Name). Might be useful for those who do deal with multiple repos?

2 . I normally launch GIMP from the Favorites dock, but the other day I searched for GIMP in Software, and got three results…
screenshot_Software_3_GIMPs

I initially thought the second of the two that say they are installed was just residue of the aborted flatpak install, but nope. They are both listings for the same version from pureos-green-main but with different blurbs, number of ratings, etc. The second one doesn’t do anything when I click ‘Launch’. Oddly, that is also the one in the separate ‘Installed’ list. Anybody know what’s up with this? Do I have two battling GIMPs in the background? :confused:

1 Like

just do it like this and see if it leads to the same double-issue

1. open the terminal ( press the “Show Applications” button from the dock-bar - it’s left bottom i think by default in gnome - then write in the “Type to search …” field - “Terminal” and when the results show up click the Terminal icon - you can also Right-Click “Add to Favorites” to have it on your dock.

2. write
    a)

sudo apt auto-remove gimp

• write in your sudo/administrator password that you used when creating your account/setting up your machine - hit “Enter/Return” key to confirm even if you didn’t see your password displayed when you keyd it in. repeat if you didn’t input the password correctly.
  • next click the Enter/Return key then press “y” to confirm and then “Enter/Return” again

b)

sudo apt update

• hit “Enter/Return” key

c)

sudo apt install gimp

• hit “Enter/Return” key
  • hit “y” key + “Enter/Return” to confirm
  1. if it shows double installed this time try removing it from the software app manager and then repeat the same steps as above. @rootapoottoot

Thanks for the very thorough instructions, @reC!

As it so happens, I saw your reply just after returning from another marathon session at the wifi cafe in town. :weary: Oh well, I’ll for sure try out your suggestion the next time I’m there. Funnily enough, after this latest update’n’upgrade, I now also have two VLCs listed when I do a search in Software. screenshot_2_VLCs

They’re multiplying! And I’m trying my best to keep my system as organized and clutter-free as possible from the beginning, argh.

But seriously, just to make sure I understand things… apt autoremove is a housekeeping command that not only clears out files that are no longer required by a currently installed program, but also weeds out any clinging lingering files after a program has been uninstalled, correct?

Thus far, I’ve only run apt autoremove (i.e. with no program name such as gimp after it). So, I’m not quite clear on what this command does when it is followed by a program name (such as gimp). Does it only extract the unnecessary detritus related to gimp, but doesn’t uninstall the actual program?

if you are unsure about auto-remove just look up the man pages in the terminal.

i only use the software center to find info or discover new software related to certain criteria but i always install from the command line. when there are .deb files provided from the vendor then i also install through CLI/terminal.

i only have one VLC instance not two.

i’ve found that auto-remove works equally well globally as it does applied only to specific programs. for me it makes little difference.

my only complaint so far is that the default gnome 3 app drawer isn’t better organised. some applications bundle more than one GUI utility and end up making a mess everywhere.