Software updates - librem 14

hi,
New Librem 14 customer. Looking to keep my new machine running smoothly,

It obviously came pre configured with a lot of software.

When I go to the software center in the UI (I type it in), it shows that I have 40+ updates needed.

Yet, when I try to update from the UI, nothing seems to happen. I am wondering if this could be why I am facing issues with simple browsing, etc.

Is there any best practice recommendation? Should I be using commands from the terminal to update everyithing to make sure it is current, before I start using the machine a lot.

Just looking to keep what was pre-installed, up to date as much as possible.
thanks

1 Like

try invoke:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
report any errors shown, please.

from gui it usess unattended updates, which means it need to reboot to install updates.
gui flow is -> every 6 am , there is a job that checks updates. then notification is shown.
you have select download in ui, it will download packaes and button changes to reboot and install
you should press it to reboot laptop.
laptop will reboot, you have unlock your encrypted disk, so automatic job will do actual update and reboot again.

it’s worth to run Software & Uptades app, and in updates set:
automatically check for updates: daily
when there are security updates: download and install automatically

1 Like

Thank you! This helped me.

Hello, All:
It seems the Software 3.36.0 is not working properly???
When I go to the Updates Tab & try to update listed OS updates it errors out on dependency errors.
Should I use Terminal & command line tools, apt-get update and or apt-get upgrade to maintain proper updates until the Software Application is fixed? I prefer avoiding deleting important files like my Thunderbird Profile as in my last use of update.
Thanks, Fred

The terminal was my solution as well. I have had issues with errors using the Software app for several weeks now.

I used Terminal and the command line to do my last up date and made the mistake of following the directive to remove the replaced files. I didn’t know that included my Thunderbird Profile and I lost my address book and directory structure under Thunderbird so be careful when following command line directives. I’m also assuming upgrade is only needed when the OS actually upgrades to the newest available stable release??? Thanks, Fred

“Upgrade” applies to all installed software. It is good practice to do so regularly, like weekly or so.

1 Like

Sorry to take so long to get back to this, working out of town.
I have been using: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
Seems to be working, hopefully the Software Application will be working for updates soon.
Thanks, Fred