[solved] PureOS Byzantium aarch64 ISO?

At this point I forget exactly how I updated from Amber to Byzantium (Debian/PureOS 9 -> 10) on my Librem 5 USA. I may have manually edited sources.list and replaced all A’s to B’s. I just updated all system and application packages (again) from the software store and it claims to be up-to-date.

However, I’m still getting the window that says “oh no! Something has gone wrong” and if I interact with that it logs me out. Sometimes I have to reboot. Also, Squeekboard never pops up, bluetooth doesn’t work or there is no card, and I don’t have a USB-C hub so I’m limited to the device itself.

So, I would like to do a fresh install. However, browsing downloads.pureos.net/ I only see amd64 ISOs. I assume these will not work on the L5?

While I’m “flashing”, are there any other OS’s I should check out?
It’d be nice if I could get the bluetooth working so I could use my old Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E. M keyboard. (I think it works with GNU/Linux and not only Android…)

Thanks!

Refer https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Development_Environment/Phone/Troubleshooting/Reflashing_the_Phone.html

You effectively download a script to run on an x86 (64bit) computer and it will download the required image and flash it on the phone.

2 Likes

Update: I tried to do this from Fedora and Manjaro but neither had uuu in the repos nor is it available from flathub or snap. Ultimately, I booted into Kubuntu off a USB drive on my L13 v2 and was able to follow the steps in that guide. It was an easier process than I first expected and did not take very long.
:smiley_cat:

Byzantium is overall more polished and functional. Feels great! Next step is to order some convergence HW. :smirk_cat:

Hi! I’m also interested in this, but I want encrypted variant :slight_smile:

If I change scripts/librem5-flash-image line 44 from:
IMAGE_VARIANT = ‘plain’
to
IMAGE_VARIANT = ‘luks’

I’ll be good to go, right? 2 questions though:

1. Will I get system with freshly generated encryption keys? I mean I know I can change the passphrase later but that alone does not change the keys. In other words when I flash 2 phones like that, will I get two different encryption keys for luks-encrypted container in that phones?

2. Will encrypted container and filesystem also get extended from initial ~3G to the rest of available storage after boot?

Thanks!

There is no need to change the script, you can pass the “variant” argument when calling the script, i.e. …

./librem5-flash-image --variant luks

To answer the questions…

1. No, you will not get a unique encryption keys if you simply flash the downloaded image, you would need to reencrypt the LUKS container in order to get freshly generated encryption keys.

2. No, the resizing does not happen automatically after boot, you will be required to take some steps to achieve that. It’s most common to do with some manual steps via the command line, changing/replacing the resize_rootfs script that runs on boot is also an option.

Thanks for your quick answer! And sorry for my late follow-up.

Is there a plan for this to be automated? I believe (not sure) that pmOS does that with an installation wizard that is available on first boot.

Or maybe is there a possibility to prepare the image other way that would meet these needs (unique keys + correct size)? For example with image-builder?

1 Like

Doesn’t it make sense to have a PureOS release for aarch64 as an ISO on the website anyways for people who use RPi4, MNT reform ect. ARM devices?