Some old , same old. Phone on Fritz Again

IMO: She would just be swapping one set of bugs for another.

2 Likes

You aren’t running crimson though, whereas Frankly is (my recollection). So better that he comments in favour or otherwise.

1 Like

Since following @Sharon’s various topics/posts, my conclusion is that their Librem 5 issues are somehow unable to be fully addressed, even after reflashing it with Byzantium and sending it in to Purism support. Therefore, I see two options left:

1. Reflash with Crimson.
  2. Get a new Liberty Phone with anti-interdiction.

I do not think reflashing Byzantium again will accomplish much in this particular case. There is a high probability that replacing this Librem 5 with a new device will resolve these various issues, and the Liberty Phone with anti-interdiction will provide some insight as to whether or not it is a worthy target. At the moment, I consider @Sharon’s Librem 5 fully compromised and marked as untrusted.

Apart from the bug that’s the topic of this thread, which many of us are also experiencing from time to time, Sharon has had a unique set of issues with her L5, leading to lots of frustration.

I question whether flashing Crimson, which the devs have already said is not ready, will result in satisfaction. But then, I haven’t used it myself, so I could be wrong.

In any case, it’s easy to reflash Byzantium if Crimson doesn’t work out.

2 Likes

And neither have I, which is why I tagged Frankly. He could comment on whether he has ever experienced hang-on-shutdown with crimson and, if so, at what approximate rate. He could comment on how ready crimson is.

As far as reflashing byzantium goes, I think it is stated above that the problems started happening after an update - which could mean that reflashing from the original disk image (if kept - I certainly do) would make the problem go away but it would come back later on after updates are applied. So while that would narrow down the problem, and help to troubleshoot it, it would not lead to an ultimately successful outcome.

As you say, it actually only takes a few minutes to reflash either way, provided that nothing goes wrong with the reflash.

1 Like

I do not share any issues with @Sharon on either Byzantium or Crimson, but my use cases dramatically differ from them. Most of the time, I use Firefox ESR, Secrets, Lollypop, and Shortwave, while fetching SMS every 8-48 hours when appropriate, otherwise I am constantly in Lockdown Mode. I prefer asynchronous communication, so I never initiate or respond to calls on the Librem 5, nor do I use Bluetooth. While Crimson might be acceptable for me, I cannot provide any guarantee whether it will be appropriate for anyone else.

3 Likes