Sparks Fly / Librem 14 / Power Cord

Every time I plug the supplied power cord into my Librem 14, there are visible and audible sparks at the point of connection. Anyone else encounter this issue? Any advice?

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem

1 Like

I also experienced this when using the barrel jack charger. It reminds me of early laptops in the 2000s that exhibited the same behavior. It’s somewhat expected with barrel jack connectors but can be avoided with different designs: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/32881/why-does-my-laptop-charger-make-a-spark-when-plugged-in/32884

I bought a USB-C 65W charger to use instead. I don’t know why laptops are still being designed with barrel jack connectors.

1 Like

I experience the same thing maybe half the time that I plug it in?

1 Like

@leaningtrees is it charging faster?
Can you give a link?
I’m thinking to change the charger if this will solve the problem.
It is scary me that somehow the laptop will be demaged

My Asus laptop has done that for the past year. I don’t think its anything you need to worry about.

2 Likes

I noticed this last weekend and my laptop stopped charging shortly thereafter. I think the barrel and socket connector has a design flaw.

I would recommend that people concerned about Librem 14 service life do not insert the barrel connector while the power supply is energized. I will be sending my laptop back for RMA after about 10 months of troublefree use.

1 Like

Hi, as an electrician with over 26 years experience i recommend for any device that you only connect device to charger while power adapter is disconnected from the electricity supply. Then connect power adapter to wall socket and use the local socket switch to power up.

1 Like