Spec is too low!

Sometimes I wonder if having less available resources would actually makes things easier. I cannot possibly imagine managing 300 tabs.

2 Likes

I can’t manage them either. But removing resources would not help, I would just move them to bookmarks, which are even more clunky. What is needed is a different paradigm for managing knowledge like this.

2 Likes

The Librem 5 is a desktop computer in your pocket.

No it’s not, that’s just marketing :stuck_out_tongue: Sure it can do some of the things a desktop computer can do and you can interact with it like you would with a desktop, but that doesn’t make it a desktop. It’s maybe like a desktop from 15 years ago, but it’s no substitute for a modern desktop or laptop.

i believe we discussed WHY it’s a pocket-computer in another thread here on the Purism forum. let’s keep this on point !

2 Likes

Hmm I know that at 10, once 90% of the RAM is used the swap is used. So I guess you are right. At 60 it would start using it when only 40% of the RAM is being used. I set mine to 10 anyway. I am working with 64 and 32GB and swap is just not necessary and slow, even on a SSD.

I thought it was AndroidOS before, so I said that there was not enough RAM. It seems that this is PureOS. It seems that it is not time to buy this phone. What I need is an Android phone with a physical switch.

Hardware kill switches will never happen in an Android phone, because all the Android phones on the market use integrated mobile SoC’s (such as the Snapdragon, Exynos, Helio, Kirin, Surge or SCxxxx/Tiger). The Librem 5 uses 6 separate chips in place of an integrated mobile SoC, and I can’t see any Android phone maker designing a phone like that.

Also, if you want a phone with a better processor than the i.MX 8M Quad that doesn’t have an integrated WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular modem and GNSS, then you will have to wait until the Rockchip RK3588 is released next year. All the currently available SoC’s by Rockchip, Amlogic, Allwinner and nVidia either have worse performance (like the A64) or they aren’t designed to fit in the power envelope of a phone (like the RK3399 and Tegra Xavier).

5 Likes

Not least because that would curtail the ease of spying on us.

1 Like

you know, i’m not even sure that they would have thought about every single way to spy on us that we ourselves have been feeding them on this forum for all these years … all it takes is training an a.i to sift through all the bright ideas in this forum …

2 Likes

Unless someone installs Android on Librem 5.

3 Likes

Careful. You might get banned if you try to call the L5 an android phone.

I’ll see your desktop with my 30 year old multiuser minicomputer in my garage running on 704MB of RAM, 12 hard disks and 4 tape drives.

And I maxed out the RAM slots.

(How low can you go?)

1 Like

I think it would be possible to dual-boot between android and PureOS? This is similar to what I do with my laptop. When I turn it on, I can choose to boot into Windows or Ubuntu.

Personally, I don’t think I would have any interest in installing Android on the Librem 5, but maybe it’s a possible option?

It’s definitely possible. On Pinephone, someone has already created a multiboot software allowing to choose one of 17 operating systems at boot: https://xnux.eu/p-boot-demo/.

RPiv1B Rev1.2 512MB running archlinux with octoprint and fhem home automation is minier and lowerer :stuck_out_tongue:

I think swappiness default value has been chosen wisely with much care and experience. I would not expect better results by changing it to an arbitrary value. Maybe someone can argue why a higher or lower swappiness would be better in case of L5 compared to other systems.

I know what you are talking about. I have even a four digit number of tabs on my android. New tasks raise quicker than given ones are being finished. What I would like to see is tasked based browsing where I can create tasks in the browser and associate tabs with those tasks. By tree view or so. Could be discussed further in a new thread if you like to. I don’t want to get to far off topic.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but there is no swap partition or swap file on the Librem 5 by default so swappiness parameter doesn’t matter?

Given the sluggish disk speed I don’t think I would want to enable swap. So whatever I do will fit within 3 GB and if I need more, I will be waiting for v2. :wink:

There is no swap partition by default, but a swap file works if you make it.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s that simple. Swap is only problematic if it’s used for stuff that’s actively used.
Like, you’re cooking and always put the salt in the attic because your kitchen is to crowded.
If the swap is merely used to keep the 100 browser tabs open that you didn’t look at for a week, then that seems better than oom-killing random processes :face_with_monocle: :thinking:

2 Likes

Be careful though, because the internal Librem 5 flash memory has a limited number of rewrites. This is why I would not switch on the swap (Perhaps I would use it on a microSD card, however slow it is). Alternatively one could also consider Zram.

3 Likes