Squeekboard release 1.18.0

I copied it to the issue tracker https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/squeekboard/-/issues/338

1 Like

And it’s now landed in PureOS.

6 Likes

And polytonic Greek has landed on my L5. This is great @dcz May I ask something… squeekboard uses some builtin font to draw the labels on the keyboard. The characters for the polytonic accents are too tiny and difficult to see. Would it be possible some how to scale up only these characters for the keyboard labels?

I am not talking about the keys that show letters with accents. I talk about the keys that show ONLY accents.

Could you come up with a design of how you want them to look? I recommend the issue tracker so that the shortcoming doesn’t get lost.

2 Likes

Just added an issue on the link you give above with screenshot. Maybe I have exaggerated with my gimp scale-up of the accents. I guess a 100% increase (is double the size) will be enough. And let me stress that this is not only for Greek. If another keyboard has keys with diacritics alone, those will also benefit from a scale up. It is the way fonts are designed that diacritics glyphs are the size that are put above letters so that font editors can compose the accented letters on the fly. But when you choose the proper key on a keyboard like squeekboard it helps vision to use a larger size.

1 Like

Currently testing with 1.18.0 and while its not released yet in PureOS 10 i dont think, i just wanted to note that for me the keyboard panel opens with a delay of 3-5 seconds. Collapsing the keyboard panel takes maybe 0.5 second but that could be intentional for an animation.

The delay happens accross all apps and UIs.

1. collapse
  2. expand

Please test https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/squeekboard/-/merge_requests/563

2 Likes

Thanks for the link and patch, also before i installed the merge i removed non pureos packages or obsolete packages:

aptitude search ‘~o’
sudo aptitude purge ‘~o’

For some reason that elliminated the delay in unfold after removing various 5.17 kernel patches and other things. Turns out pureos packages with squeekboard 1.18.0 already so my previous comment was incorrect.

"aptitude versions squeekboard
Package squeekboard:
p A 1.18.0-1pureos1 byza 500
i A 1.18.0-1+librem5ci413685 "

Now testing the merge squeekboard_1.18.0-1+librem5ci413685.70bf101_arm64
So far i am noticing:

1. quick fold unfold of panel.
  2. no noticeable typing interaction delay, seems a little more responsive but not sure.
  3. holding any letter does not repeat letter or space when selecting space bar, for gnome desktop it would be nice if squeekboard would honor gsettings for a. time until repeating, b. speed of repeating.

Please give it some time for the delay to grow enough to be noticeable, and then report in the comments on the patch.

Not a bug. Buttons are not keys, they don’t send letters but sequences of any number of letters. Repeating sequences would be unexpected (www.www.www.www.). However, you can file an issue in the tracker to make an argument that it is desired and can work in some form.