SSD Encryption - Outdated?

I recently purchased a Librem 13v2, and during the setup process it encrypted my primary SSD - thank you. The issue I’m now seeing though is whenever I do an ‘sudo apt-get update/upgrade’ it mentions that the encryption method used is no longer supported, and they suggest a more updated encryption method. This seems to happen when there’s a new kernel to download/install. I also noticed that upon boot (right after the SeaBIOS and right before the encryption login), I get this firmware error (goes by too quick, but it almost seems like these two things are related):

[ 1.577616] i915 0000:00:02.0: firmware: failed to load i915/skl_dmc_ver1_26.
bin (-2)
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
Volume group “crypt” not found
Cannot process volume group crypt

Please unlock disk sdb5_crypt:

Any one else experiencing this?

2 Likes

apt-get doesn’t seem to work properly, instead try using only apt
for example:
sudo apt update

I’m not saying this will solve your problem but it will for sure make these kind of commands work. Cheers.

Thanks for the tip. No new updates fixed the issue with this method, but I appreciate the info!

1 Like

Any one else experiencing this?

I am observing the same warning message during the boot phase on my 13 v2 using LUKS encryption of my SSD:

firmware: failed to load i915/skl_dmc_ver1_26.
bin(-2)
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
Volume group “crypt” not found
Cannot process volume group crypt

Could you solve the warning (I would not classify it as a problem since after unlocking the SSD with
my password everything is working fine)?

Yup, I get the same warning messages as well, but I’m able to unlock my SSD without issue. Would be curious to know more about why we’re all seeing these error codes and how to fix.

Same error, and last night machine froze and would not reboot. Did a fresh install and same error, hangs, will not launch X.

[ 3.087462] i915 0000:00:02.0: firmware: failed to load i915/skl_dmc_ver1_26.
bin (-2)

… machine froze … hangs, will not launch X

Can you give a little bit background please?

What did you do before the problem occurred, any critical things like coreboot update?

Can you boot from a USB stick (e. g. with Ubuntu Live boot)?

I still see these warnings/messages, even though I can unlock as well. Curious on how to make them go away, or to fix the issue.