Status of Suspend for Librem 5

Well, I tried it several times now and finally the phone rang. So it should work with newer updates :wink: Pressing the power button awakes the phone from suspend regularly.
Maybe interesting for others: I received my phone in July 2022.

After following instructions from Purism support to upgrade the modem firmware, I can confirm that my primary phone wakes up on the first signal from another caller. It then takes a few seconds for the modem to establish contact so my phone starts ringing, but definitely in time for me to answer the call.

I am immensely pleased!

1 Like

Nice, good to see.

But does the incoming call awaken the phone from suspend reliably (even if it does not ring afterwards)?

I got and followed the modem flash instructions from support@ The L5 now comes out of suspend when it is called and I can answer the call fine.

On outgoing call I have no ring tone on my side anymore. The call itself is fine.

A big step forward. Thanks you Purism.

3 Likes

Same here, but for me not related to modem firmware update. Discussed here.

It’s related to VoLTE and happens only with some carriers. Perhaps VoLTE wasn’t being used before.

I will do some tests with VoLTE turned off and report back.

Just Purism.

1 Like

:heavy_plus_sign: :one:

purism@pureos:~$ sudo kermit ~purism/.kermrc
[sudo] password for purism: 
C-Kermit 9.0.305 OPEN SOURCE: Alpha.02, 19 Sep 2020, for Linux+SSL+KRB5 (64-bit)
 Copyright (C) 1985, 2020,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
(/home/purism/) C-Kermit>c
Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB3, speed 9600
 Escape character: Ctrl-U (ASCII 21, NAK): enabled
Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
or followed by ? to see other options.
----------------------------------------------------

OK
AT+BMSWVER
+BMSWVER: M100E_YCSN0_1.0.0_220926,YCSN0_M100E_1BAD_3117_V1.0.0.2_20220930,M100E_1.0.4_200715

OK
1 Like

Here’s a one-liner based on @guru’s comment that installs ckermit and fetches the modem firmware version:

sudo apt install ckermit && printf 'set line /dev/ttyUSB3\n set speed 9600\n set carrier-watch off\n lineout AT+BMSWVER\n input 1 \\fpattern(^+BMSWVER*$)\n' | sudo kermit

example output:

[sudo] password for purism:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
ckermit is already the newest version (305~alpha02-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

+BMSWVER: M100E_1.0.0_190426,BMC_M100E_1ACD_B325_V1.0.0.0_20190510,M100E_1.0.0_190910

OK

I haven’t updated the modem firmware on my L5 so this is probably the version string for the misbehaving firmware; I can’t confirm whether or not it misbehaves because I don’t have it set up with a cell service provider (I’ve been waiting until I’m ready to use it as my daily driver.)

I let my L5 overnight from 00:26 to 06:26, i.e. 6 hours, in suspend mode. It came up fine by calling it. The battery went down from 84% to 56%, i.e. 4.66% per hour. This would mean a standby time of 21 hours when idle.

9 Likes

I have (I received the Librem 5 2021-10-04):

+BMSWVER: M100E_1.0.0_190426,BMC_M100E_1BAD_3117_V1.0.0.0_20190426,M100E_1.0.0_190910

I think public available firmware information and update instructions would reduce work for Purism support.

1 Like

On the face of it, that could be true but I think Purism has stated that there are various obscure situations where things might go wrong i.e. the instructions haven’t been developed to the point of working correctly in all situations, including in the face of customer error, so they prefer to be in the loop. After all, if customers gratuitously update and thereby brick their modems then that too is workload for Purism support.

1 Like

Thanks for all your reply. I just saw that the bm818-tool shows the FW version. My Version number is:
M100E_YCSN0_1.0.0._210122,YCSN0_M100E_1BAD_3117_V1.0.0.1_20210906,M110E_1.0.4_200715
So it looks like I am between @guru and @janvlug :wink:

@dos yeah, waking up from suspend is reliable :+1: it takes 4-8 seconds until the display will turn on

1 Like

Precisely, this sort of thing is actually very complicated and if things go wrong it is a lot more work for Purism to handle mass support calls, instead of on a case by case basis.

In general I have been finding suspend itself to be rock solid after the Phosh update that fixed the dual lock screen race condition. This is fantastic. With the modem now working while suspended for calls, this just feels like the dream is real! Excellent work once again Purism devs!

5 Likes

Have you found a way to get the string into a file?

Hi, nope. I tipped it by hand.

Maybe the code from the bm818-tool will help:

I did the flash twice, on my test L5 and afterwards on my daily driver L5. Running the flash tool Flash BM818 produces in the terminal window a lot of fast output during backup/flash/restore and I could read also words of “blablabla failed…”, in both cases. I investigated my L5 device for any logs or other indicators of the procedure. The only I could find is a directory of the backup:

root@pureos:/home/purism# ls -ld backup_m100e
drwxr-xr-x 3 purism purism 4096 Apr 19 17:59 backup_m100e

no other log file of the run of the tool. The existence of a log would help to clarify if all went fine, and if not what went wrong.

1 Like