Status of Suspend for Librem 5

I got time today to do a test for Suspend mode on librem 5.

• Suspend mode spend: 6% per hour compared to 8% on inactive mode.

Like 17 HRS battery life Librem 5 on Suspended. No worries the Librem 5 still has more things to do to get more batteries life. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Is it expected to wake up after suspend only via modem? I have the latest kernel and librem5-base but only screen wakes up if I press power or volume buttons, nothing else works. I have some packages from Debian unstable/experimental.

No. It may work on some devices already, but isn’t expected to work on all of them yet.

3 Likes

Is there a way to know which devices work or not work? What variable is different between devices ?

Yeah suspend on the MNT Reform, which uses the same SoC, sees power consumption effectively cut in half. Seeing something similar on the L5 makes a lot of sense.

I am also just writing to say that I would be VERY happy if suspend only worked as it does on a computer. IE: it does not wake for the modem as the modem is off, and the phone will only resume from suspend when the user pushes the power button, etc.

This kind of suspend would make the L5 100% usable for me.

1 Like

I did a few test of suspend the L5. Sometimes it comes back on Power button, sometimes also but screen does not react on any touch.

It’s tied to a particular modem; some units aren’t sending the wakeup signals, so will most likely require some reconfiguration to enable it.

Also, I haven’t had much success with suspend on my phones at all so far - seems there are some kernel bugs that, for some reason, my devices are triggering much more often than some others. This still needs to be debugged.

10 Likes

OK. It seems modem also can turn on the screen like power button but the system is not responding like others also mentioned. Hopefully we can find it out soon.

Hello all, I am really happy to hear that suspend is now in progress to be ported on the Librem 5.

Instead of “upping” this thread for news, do you know if there is a tracking issue on purism gitlab for this topic ?
Thus I can check if there is some progress, thank you very much !

1 Like

there are several, but you can just look for the suspend label: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux-next/-/merge_requests?label_name[]=suspend

And the merge requests have all been merged. As far as I know (and I can be wrong), it will be present in 5.17. Initially it will not be enabled by default, because we still want to make more tests.

9 Likes

@dos Have you figured out what’s up with the modems that are not sending the wakeup signal?

1 Like

The other good things is that Purism is trying to enable the WLAN too under Suspend-to-RAM.
On PinephoneS this feature is not yet possible.
@dos the new wlan card that you have on ur L5 it has WoW support?

Sorry, your filter produced no results

because the merge requests made to implement initial suspend have all already been merged now and are marked as merged on that filter

7 Likes

An apt list shows

purism@pureos:~$ apt list 2>/dev/null | grep '^linux-image-.*-librem5'
linux-image-5.16.0-1-librem5/byzantium,now 5.16.7pureos2 arm64 [installed,automatic]
linux-image-5.17.0-1-librem5/byzantium 5.17.0~rc4pureos1 arm64

Is it possible to upgrade to 5.17?

Seems that you already are on linux 5.17, so on both kernel version suspend to Ram it enabled, but you need the librem5-base package where it enable the suspend to ram too, the current/updated librem5-base it not enable STR.

No, installed is 5.16, not 5.17:

purism@pureos:~$ apt list --installed 2>/dev/null | grep '^linux-image-.*-librem5'
linux-image-5.16.0-1-librem5/byzantium,now 5.16.7pureos2 arm64 [installed,automatic]

I did a test suspending to RAM with echo mem | sudo tee /sys/power/state:

• device goes “off” (display off which was on before)
  • a phone call does not wake-up the L5
  • initiating a SSH session does not wake-up
  • a press on the power-button wake-up the L5
  • the L5 is able to make a call
  • SSH into the L5 works
4 Likes

Do you get a “Missed call” notification after waking it?