Still waiting for shipment since 8/16/2019

Hi fsflover,

I admire your absolute and unquestioning loyalty to purism in all of your posts that I ve seen so far.

For quite a while I also advocated strongly for purism and their products, and I also talked to my friends about it. I stopped doing that - The smokescreen tactics that purism applied with regards to important topics, the constant excuses for delays and their onesided change of conditions regarding already signed contracts (return policy) gave me a pause.
The latest reason that confirmed my rather cautious optimism was the way purism set up and advertised their convertible notes campaign (e.g. to include the money that was raised long ago without really mentioning it & setting up a homepage for it as if it were a simple good to be sold, etc.)
And as mentioned in jaylittlesā€™ thread I linked above - there is no official confirmation available on how much money has really been raised and arrived in their books (at the moment the page states USD 9,657,000).

But my initial advocating of the L5 at least had some humorous side effects - the question whether my ā€˜Fred Flintstone Stone Age Mobile Brick Phoneā€™ did arrive yet has become the running gag when meeting some of my friends.

At least itā€™s not a hockey puck! Thereā€™s a long tradition of running gags when it comes to Linux phones.

1 Like

Hi @PrivateWhite, I have no ā€œabsolute and unquestioning loyalty to Purismā€. I perfectly understand that they deceived their customers by changing the refund policy and that they almost always delay shipments. However, as @amosbatto explained, they are practically our only hope to get a long-term supported usable Linux phone in this decade. Iā€™ve seen enough reviews of it and believe that itā€™s real and can be my daily driver even now. People like us should drive the change, so later ordinary people donā€™t have to forever obey the Apple and Google lords. Their convertible notes campaign started with $2,500,000, because, by the law, they must tell how much money they collected beforehand. It was discussed here on the forums, too.

Just consider, which alternatives we have. Lenovo for Linux laptops, who sold the privacy and security of its customers by infecting its BIOS? Or Apple, who is adding spying software on peopleā€™s phones in the next update? Iā€™m not even speaking about Google.

I do have a strong loyalty to free software and freedom in general though, which are strongly supported by Purism.

8 Likes

Oi, donā€™t you go disparaging the sacred shape (at least in many countries among the arctic circle)! :ice_hockey: :innocent:
Now, Iā€™d rather have my puck with Tux than Clippy :wink:

In September of 2019, I placed my pre-order. I remember the shipping announcement for Aspen and remember wondering whether or not I would be in that shipping group. Little did I know that the line was very long and that I was at the end of it.

One consolation is that I paid $599.00. The price today is $899.00. I dinā€™t know what rate of interest that is. But it probably beats the return from a savings account. Of course, I havenā€™t received it yet. Hopefully the phone arrives sometime soon.

3 Likes

22.5% compound. Canā€™t complain about that. :wink:

1 Like

Except that it doesnā€™t represent actual profit.

1 Like

Unless you sell your phone.

2 Likes

Unless you have ordered before 2017-10-02 or shelled out for an L5 USA, everybody is still waiting. Patience is a virtue :wink:

5 Likes

Well, they say; Justice delayed is Justice denied. In Purismā€™s case, delaying the order shipment (for whatever reasons) is making the hardware obsolete.

Maybe it is just me, but if I pay $2,000 for a Librem 5 USA phone then a 32 GB phone is too little for that price. I would expect a 512 GB phone. Again, maybe it is I being me and expecting more for paying more. :smile:

Did you forget that the phone has a microSD card slot for up to 2 TB cards?

@fsflover, one would have to spend little extra beyond the price of $2,000 to get the 2 TB card. so iterating again 32 GB is too little ā€¦

And as others, I too, am waiting patiently for my Librem 5 (non-USA) to arrive and do not want to abandon the ship.

Iā€™m not suggesting to a buy a 2 TB card now. This is a possible upgrade for a far future, when itā€™s reasonably priced.

Today, you can buy a 100-400 GB card for a very good price, so your complain about 32 GB is not fair.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about 2TB, but Amazon has 1 TB cards ranging from about 140-170 USD. I donā€™t consider that unreasonable given the size.

I put a 512 GB card in mine. Somewhat cheaper than a 1 TB card but still a good amount of storage for an offline copy of my multimedia content.

Storage is getting cheaper all the time. Probably by the time the OP gets per Librem 5, a 1 TB card will cost no more than what I paid for my card of half that size. So you can look on the bright side of the delays. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A large external drive is great for storage, but applications still have to be installed on the 32GB internal drive, right?

2 Likes

Just curious, how much space is taken on the drive by the OS and pre installed apps on the L5 fresh out of the box?

Not sure about out of the box, but Iā€™m up to 14.5GB for the OS and 2.0GB for the Home directory, with 13.7GB Available.

I have 73 app icons on the screen, which includes native apps, flatpaks, and 11 web apps.

And Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve installed a lot of non-GUI applications.

3 Likes

Not more than 4GiB, cause thatā€™s the image size for flashing after unpacking (the image gets resized to full storage on first boot).

9 Likes

AFAIK you should be able to put your /home directory to another drive. So all applications installed as non-root will go there.