Store page suggestion: list the why you should buy a Librem laptop reasons as "specs"

Usually when you introduce someone to Librem hardware they are like

What? x amount of $ for an old gen intel CPU? I can get this laptop 3 times cheaper from the xyz store.

This is happening because when they look at a page like this one https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-13/ all they see is tech specs, nothing else, so they think they are paying only for that.

So I suggest to remind them about all the other perks they get when buying a Librem laptop such as Coreboot, disabled Intel ME etc…

But also:

Please add a warning on Pureos.net that PureOS is not suitable for all computers/hardware because not all computers are respecting the user’s freedom equally i.e. many hardware parts need certain blobs in order to run smoothly.

I know a warning on that beautiful page wouldn’t look good, but a disappointed user who’s angry that his computer with PureOS doesn’t work as well as when he had it with Ubuntu - is much worse!

This is especially important for laptop users with wifi cards for which FOSS drivers don’t exist. So imagine such a person installing PureOS, no wifi, perhaps no ethernet what should he do?

Thank you Purism for everything you do, I love and support it!

7 Likes

I think that would be a good move.

I suspect that Purism’s target market has shifted since that page was first written. Originally they were trying (I think) to distinguish themselves in the eyes of privacy-, libre-, and security-savvy prosumers from previous low-powered offerings in those areas (like the still-beloved libreboot mods of Thinkpads).
As I believe was the plan, however, Purism gained enough fiscal and social capital to start marketing towards people who had just started to consider such a specialty machine. Therefore, this is a golden opportunity to educate on the advantages of such (and contrasting with data-hungry mainstream producers has been a modus operandi all along).

1 Like

i think you want to say “educate” them of what those perks mean first. there’s no point reminding somebody who doesn’t have a clue in the first place.

discussion with a common tech clerk:

“have you heard about Purism the SPC ?”

“like GDPR ?”

:weary:

2 Likes

Also, please add a warning on Pureos.net that PureOS is not suitable for all computers/hardware because not all computers are respecting the user’s freedom equally i.e. many hardware parts need certain blobs in order to run smoothly.

I know a warning on that beautiful page wouldn’t look good, but a disappointed user who’s angry that his computer with PureOS doesn’t work as well as when he had it with Ubuntu - is much worse!

This is especially important for laptop users with wifi cards for which FOSS drivers don’t exist. So imagine such a person installing PureOS, no wifi, perhaps no ethernet what should he do?

Thank you Purism for everything you do, I love and support it!

i think you know what you wanted to say it’s just that the way you expressed it is confusing because it is overly simplistic. that’s why Purism doesn’t put it in the store suggestions. GNU/FSF sell the ideology and Purism sells the physical products that conform to this ideology (not 100% at the present moment due to limitations)

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/loyal-computers.html > https://puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/ > only for interested readers.