Storj: Decentralizing Cloud Storage - Librem 5!

What are your thoughts about this as an option for the desktop & Librem 5 people?

centralized or decentralized it matters very little to the keen eye.

when you jump data between nodes even if that data is encripted through a VPN tunnel the exit node requests and data entry logged by the internet facing side are non encripted and non decentralized.

so data patterns can be established plus you are auto-flagged when using VPN style encription with ANY form of p2p (TOR or non tor)

having the internet itself become a decentralized network now THAT would be something. however attempting something like that would be highly expensive and certainly non-sustainable through wire lines.

@reC
Well until the Utopian dream of the internet appears, we will just have to settle for the best method from all the imperfect options currently available. And Storj seems to offer another option that others may be interested in and may be worth looking into for them. Now, this uses Client-side encryption and this is only one of many security protocols that are being implemented. I still suggest giving it a good looking at before being so quick to dash it away as an option.

1 Like

the best method from all the imperfect options currently available might still be a bad option. i’m not so quick to dash away living in a digital concentration camp but i’ll try my best to keep reminding people of what they are choosing unknowingly.

1 Like

This becomes a matter of preference, if not opinion. What you may see as a bad option, may very well be a great option to others. Freedom of choice right? That’s the idea of freedom. You may call it a digital concentration camp but others obviously call it a decentralized safe haven. If the best option is still a bad one for YOUR needs, then don’t use ANY cloud options at all. Use your software and devices how you want. After saying your peace, let others use their devices and software as they choose. With that said… does anyone have a constructive comment about this being a possible option?

I believe Purism is partnering with Nextcloud, so that will probably be the default option for the Librem. That seems perfectly adequate to me.