Successful multi-boot OS X/macOS (hackintosh) on Purism hardware?

you don’t have to, I now offer one for all Purism Librem laptops, via my ChromeOS Firmware Utility Script (which I may need to rename now that I’m supporting more than just ChromeOS devices)

1 Like

Thank you for continuing to help me out here :raised_hands:

A few roadblocks I am encountering:

1. I tried running the script you linked to above and got an error that I needed to run with iomem = relaxed.

2. I cannot figure out how to either boot into the Grub menu (holding down shift doesn’t do a thing) nor edit the grub menu in PureOS once booted.

These seem like n00b questions and I swear I’ve put at least 2 hours into figuring this out but so far, no dice.

A little more information from a thread MrChromebox helped me with:

Just do a search on DDG for adding iomem=relaxed to grub kernel arguments and you’ll find out how to do that. Really easy, but like most things with Linux, just need to do a quick search first.

either press tab/ESC after ‘Booting From Hard Disk’ to bring up the grub menu and edit the command line before booting, or edit (as sudo) /etc/default/grub and add to end of command line params, save, and run (as sudo) update-grub

2 Likes

I got it to work and ran the script, now it won’t boot from my bootstick. I am remaking it according to the instructions on the Apple website:

1 Like

well no, there’s lots of workarounds needed for making a Hackintosh setup work (and lots of resources for doing so as well). You can’t just boot the installer and install like a normal OS

Got it, thank you for clarifying. Will go spelunking and see what I find :smiley:

For those playing the home game, I am going to run through this sucker cover to cover and see what happens:

2 Likes

In case it is not obvious to all

is a one-off change,

whereas

is a permanent (until explicitly and manually reversed) change.

1 Like

I would also like to switch to Purism Librem but I am absolutely dependent on the Adobe Creative Suite programs for my work. They run best on Mac and I still have a struggle with them at times not working. I know you can hack and run Adobe on Linux (even though Adobe does not support this), but I’m afraid it will ruin my professional life. A solution for me could be to run a bootable Mac OS so Adobe will still (mostly) behave. Do a lot of graphic design, video editing, photo manipulation for my work. Any thoughts?

if you are not experienced with dual-boot, uefi/non-uefi, preparing bootable media yourself and in general familiar with the gnu/linux environment i would suggest getting a Virtual Machine setup to learn and test or get a second hardware device to boot off of. don’t do ANYTHING permanent until you are sure that you can afford a switch … if you do anything permanent too soon you will regret it and be in a LOT of pain …

this is a community forum and we are here but we don’t recommend CHANGE if you can’t afford it …

change is always expensive and waiting can sometimes be beneficial if it’s not postponed forever … that means the magnifying glass in the top-right corner is your friend … homework first, change-later …

1 Like

so you change things in the bios? so more closed code in it and not possible with pureBoot? only Coreboot?

I am completely new to Linux. I have been messing around with TAILS and Ubuntu on my Mac (booted from USB stick) and am currently learning to build a private server or hook into a VPS with Linux. The Librems caught my eye as I have been thinking of going to Linux for the abundant open source software, better privacy protections, and full control of one’s own system. Problem? I work in the creative field and damn it. I need those programs that play nice with Mac. Adobe. AhhhhhhhhdooooooBE. Anyone’s advice or thoughts is appreciated.

1 Like

see > https://forums.puri.sm/t/floss-photography-workflow-stack/6079

This will be my first Hackintosh… save me some time & frustration. ;). Is there a step-by-step guide you used to get this far?

Sebaseba, were you able to get it to work?

Hey how did u get audio and wifi working.
I injected kexts but still wont work.