Successful multi-boot OS X/macOS (hackintosh) on Purism hardware?

As much as I want to divorce Apple, there is still some Apple applications that a have to use for work. With that in mind…

…Has anyone been able to hack a OSX boot on a Librem?

I don’t think that anyone would have ever tried to hackintosh a Librem laptop, but I’m still very much intrigued by what software you would absolutely need that is not on Linux or doesn’t have any alternative.

5 Likes

Some workplaces and schools can be funny like that… If you let us know what software you need specifically, someone might be able to suggest something.

That would be really really wrong… :smile:

I neither have a librem notebook nor have i ever done (a permanently successfully) hackintosh, never the less i have some ideas where you could start to find out if it is possible. As i don’t think purism will advise you on this nore have i heard of some one doing it.

First i would like to point out that i pretty shure OS X dose need UEFI to boot. As Appel was an early adopter of this.
Purism is using an open source firmeware call coreboot for its notebook This can have different payloads. As far as i know purism is using SeaBIOS which is not a UEFI. And therefor probably wouldn’t work with OS X. There is an opensource UEFi called TianoCore i think. You could add/swap this as a payload on a librem. Then you have to find out i a hackintosh with tianocore is possible.

So i would start by google tianocore hackintosh.

Here are the docs for coreboot on the librem notebooks.

1 Like

Or even if there are no suggestions, it is helpful to know where the gaps are.

1 Like

Another question might be whether Purism hardware can run a hypervisor so as to boot MacOSX as a VM, or any similar approach to the problem. Normally I wouldn’t recommend going down that path but if you really want that divorce from Apple …

…or possibly VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org?

if it could do that then the problem is solved.

The programs would be highly graphically intensive:

Video editing
CAD design (https://www.turbocad.com/)

I’m wondering if others have had success using a emulator for resource intensive computing, and if it was viable?

1 Like

It’s trivial to build a coreboot/Tianocore image for the Librem laptops, you can do so from my personal tree on github in fact. Runs Linux/Windows perfectly well, and given the hardware used on the Librems, would probably not be all that difficult to Hackintosh. I’ll probably end up distributing them along with the coreboot 4.10 update for the ChromeOS devices I support (so within a month?). I don’t have any interest in Hackintoshing myself however so these would be distributed (like all my other work) as-is.

4 Likes

Cool. And i saw on your website that NVRAM got added too. What i saw on a quick google session for hackintosh with tianocore, missing NVRAM was a problem which needed workarounds. So this should also help.

So @Emily i would give i a try, if i had the hardware. Tianocore seams doable, kabylake and skylake cpus are supported by OSX, the default WIFI card also. I don’t know if touchpads and keyboards are a problem with hackintosh setups, but if not i don’t see any major concerns.

Would be cool to know if the librems also provide an easy way to the freedom of installing OS X, if, for what reason ever, someone wants to install it.
It would make them even greater in my opinion. And might open a new customer group which hesitates because they don’t know if they want to jump fully to linux yet.

2 Likes

If anyone does attempt a Librem hackintosh, I’d be interested to know the result.

They can’t officially support it, they
are a US based company and OSX
is not permitted to be installed on non
Apple hardware by EULA.

The steps are not much different than
other hackintosh guides, the only issue
might be the Elantech trackpad, but there must be a kext somewhere for it.

In fact it’s a funny request, if you want
to run OSX just get a Mac, it has superior specs and build quality anyway
The price of a Librem can get you a new 2016/2017 machine with the same
specs, and Macs can run Linux as well.

it’s a standard PS2 attached trackpad, there’s no special driver required

1 Like

On OSX the kexts still have to be applied since it’s not a standalone USB device with it’s own
serial emulation. that’s why many communities make their custom kexts.
If it works natively it will be great, actually pre-2010 Macbooks used Elantech.

Hi,
I got hackintosh osx mojave working on the Librem v3 with the help of MrChromeBox. I used his EFI flash firmware to get it to boot. The install of hackintosh was straightforward but needed kexts installed via kext wizard after the intell. Also I had to select AFPS to install the drives on osx to be able to perform future osx updates. I used Niresh OSX dmg image since it contained the touchpad driver…

It works very stable no crashes… More stable than KDE on linux…

To make intel graphics work I had to set ig-platform-id to 0x19160000 and Inject Intel to true.

https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC (SET ID TO 6 TO MAKE AUDIO WORK)
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-null-ethernet/downloads/ (NULL ETHERNET DEVICE NEEDED TO MAKE APP STORE WORKING…)

10 Likes

I don’t like MacOS but that’s pretty impressive. :+1:

That’s harsh, I’m using Plasma 5 for about 2 years on arch (BTW I use arch :smirk: ) (so higher risks to get a breakdown than on something based on debian) and I would say that I had about 2 or 3 crashes in total.

3 Likes

@jackwa Would it be possible for you to post a walk through of how you did this? I have a Mojave bootstick and am trying to figure out how to get it to boot on the Librem v2.

1 Like

I was able to run snow leapord or lion on Windows 7 via a Virtualbox VM a while back, so seeing that it can be installed and booted natively on the librem hardware, makes me think running it in a VM with PureOS as the host would be a bit easier and allow you to maintain the awesome that is PureOS.

This seemed to need some pretty specific hardware software, so I’m curious if anyone has tried this? If it works, I’ll be ditching my one piece of apple hardware in the house.

I know this is probably too late, but since I didn’t see any alternatives suggested:

FreeCAD

I’ve tried running SolidWorks in WINE before with pretty bad results. A VM (or as was accomplished later in this thread, a Hackintosh) is definitely the way to go for CAD if you absolutely have to use programs for Windows/Mac.

@MrChromebox @jackwa

the part I am getting stuck on is how to get even to step 1 of booting from Mojave. “It’s trivial to build a coreboot/Tianocore image for the Librem laptops” I can’t find any instructions on how to do this.

1 Like