[Suggestion] Forums Subdomain Accommodations for GNOME Web, LibreWolf, and GNU IceCat Web Browsers

Hello puri.sm forums subdomain, for quite some time, I have jumped on the bandwagon from the default Firefox-ESR to LibreWolf. Reasons were fear of telemetry risks and that Flatpak sandbox services host LibreWolf.

I really like the enhanced/increased security/privacy features set in LibreWolf, I could even customize its settings for automatic private window mode (although, the developers warned something about that action leaving fingerprint traces).

The only problem is that forums.puri.sm does not account login with multi-factor authentication method (was not specified, but that would be self-defeating in purpose, wouldn’t it?) with LibreWolf or GNOME Web. Chances are that I need to change the cookies settings, which I refuse to do so. I rather leave my web browser security/privacy settings on than off. I have to resort to use Chromium instead, since it is just slightly more secure/private than Chrome itself. Maybe Purism did not consider using these web browsers due to a lack of testing, and I cannot say they were wrong to stay on the current/stable/constitutional approach. If there is an opportunity to (stress) test these web browsers against Purism’s dummies of services, I would be grateful to see progress in my personal favor.

1 Like

So to clarify … does it work if you don’t use MFA or are you unwilling to try it without MFA?

Do you know what type of 2FA is in use?

Have you investigated whether this is a generic issue with the Discourse forum software or is specific to Purism’s implementation?

1 Like

I admit that I haven’t tried without MFA, but I rather not risk losing out progress.

According to the forums settings, QR codes, keys, and codes are available methods. I was thinking about OTP, but I guess it isn’t secure enough. I would go for non-reproducible method values. Then again, there isn’t one solution for all situations.

I haven’t gone far enough to determine whether the forum software or Purism’s configuration is the cause of interruption.

1 Like

Gnu Icecat it is my default browser in Gnu OS on Librem 14. Fully(v.codec/engine) Vulkan Accel. Gnu Linux (libre) 6.11.3

1 Like

and … have you tried using 2FA with the Purism forum?
If yes, does it work?

1 Like

I not using 2FA in Purism Forum ATM, however i could do the test…and reporting u later.

1 Like

One reason why I have not tried this myself is … what happens if, as reported, it doesn’t work? How do you regain access to your account?

If you are careful, you may be able to keep a session logged in from a different computer? Or maybe you have to use a different browser to get back in?

It seems to me that it should be like the good old days of changing video settings: it automatically reverts after X seconds if it doesn’t work. :wink:

3 Likes