[support] Can't detect headset microphone, how to debug?

I’m running up-to-date PureOS on a Librem 15v3. When I plug my headset into the audio jack, the headphones are detected (audio output switches to headphones, volume level is adjusted) but the microphone isn’t. I’m pretty sure this wasn’t the case with a previous headset (that I no longer have). How can I debug this issue?

So far I have:

• tested with killswitch on and off (does it matter?)

• plugged the headset into my phone and confirmed headset microphone (not phone mic) works there

• checked “Sound” settings - “Output” switches from “Speakers - Built-in audio” to “Headphones - Built-in audio”, but “Input” remains at “Internal microphone - Built-in audio”

• generated unplugged / plugged in logs (based on a related tip at https://askubuntu.com/questions/133809/mute-sound-on-headphone-unplug ):

~> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > unplugged.txt
    ~> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > pluggedin.txt
    ~> diff pluggedin.txt unplugged.txt

25c25
    <   Amp-Out vals:  [0x31 0x31]
    ---
    >   Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
    37c37
    <   Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
    ---
    >   Amp-Out vals:  [0x24 0x24]
    141c141
    <   Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
    ---
    >   Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
    148c148
    <   Pin-ctls: 0x00:
    ---
    >   Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
    151c151
    <   Power: setting=D3, actual=D3
    ---
    >   Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
    158c158
    <   Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
    ---
    >   Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
    167c167
    <   Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
    ---
    >   Power: setting=D3, actual=D3

Hi, same issue here with a purism librem 13v2.
I’m wondering if the mic input is wired or not… (I’m not sure it worked last time I’ve used it for video conferencing or if it was just the internal mic)

I couldn’t find in the specs if there is a mic input on the audio jack…

(FWIW I have since switched to a USB headset)

I am also having issues with the mic. I run into it when doing google hangouts. I get video but no mic. I have also then tried to pop in some apple headphones w/ mic and that also fails to work for me. Couldn’t get anything going via the sound settings.

In fact, the Librem 15v3 audio jack is output-only. It doesn’t support a microphone.

I’m having the same issue, external mic not detected via 3.5mm jack.

@david.libremone can this really be the case that no input is supported in the jack? This should be a pretty standard prerequisite for any laptop… Purism even has the jack in the Librem5, so they know how important it is.

Yes, see the specs page please:

https://puri.sm/products/librem-13/#specs
https://puri.sm/products/librem-15/#specs

…the key words being “line output jack”

The Librem 13 version 1 (l13v1) supports an external microphone via that 3.5 mm audio jack. @mladen told me this and I just verified this with a TRRS (connector has tip, 2 rings, and sleeve) microphone. @mladen told me the CTIA standard is followed for the assignment of roles to the 4 contacts.

I don’t know when this functionality was dropped, but it appears to be gone by the l13v3. I don’t know whether the l15 ever had it.

Remap headphone jack to microphone input?