[Support] Dual Boot on Librem13v2

Hello,

I purchased my librem with 500gb HDD (/sda) and a 500gb Samsung SSD (/sdb) addon.
I had PureOS installed on sda via normal configuration and I had not even mounted sdb until a few days ago.
To better use that space I thought to dual boot my laptop with kali linux on sdb

So I followed the usb installer instructions, nothing fancy - and I selected the entire sdb disk to host my kali OS.

Having got to the end, the installer asked me where it should install the grub payload stating the main disk was the standard, so I selected sda and finished installing

Upon first boot of my machine I am immediately promted to log in to kali, grub seems to have forsaken the sda PureOS partition and skips to kali sdb immediately.

I have attempted multiple times to enter SeaBIOS and play around with grub rescue but it simply does not recognize PureOS.
I suspect this is so because I had never used grub in the past, and upon inspection of my disks I find that disk1 (presumably sdb) has “MBR Grub2,” whereas disk2 has “MBR is FreeDOS eXtended FDisk” so even when I enter Grub rescue on startup and ls for bootable partitions it returns with errors.

Further info:
BIOS: Coreboot 4.6 from Purism 2
06/23/2017

The question is: how do I fix this? I have made backups but I’d rather not lose my PureOS sda partition.
All the tutorials online are for win+linux distr or for UEFI BIOS. I guess I need some specialized instructions for Coreboot…

I’d appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Change the coreboot boot order, it might be auto booting into kali

How do I do this?

Also I do click ESC during boot and select booting into one HD rather than the other. The SDA choice boots kali (even though that’s the PureOS partition) whereas SDB doesn’t boot anything and just freezes BIOS.

You’ve installed over pureOS by the sound of it. In Kali use parted to check the partitions in each drive.

Right, so as I said there’s 2 devices on GParted:
sda where PureOS is has the LUKS encrypted partition (where I installed the PureOs):

whereas sdb has kali, showing as “presently mounted as filesystem root”

The issue is with the grub at startup. The two OS’s are mounted in separate partitions as for dual boot. The issue is that grub has replaced seabios (?) and now automatically mounts kali…

Check your /boot/grub/grub.cfg to make sure you have an initrd path. This thread shows what mine looked like setting up dual-boot with Ubuntu

Make sure to make a backup copy of your boot/grub before you change it so you can roll back if things go wrong. Also if you follow the instructions I left there, replace vmlinuz-4.18.0-15-generic with the name of the kernel that didn’t get built.

Good luck!