Sway users or Byzantium maintainers, did something happen to Swaylock in the repo?

Hi, have been using Sway and loving it. Rebuilt my setup and now I cannot find Swaylock in the repo.

Foot indicating:
“Package swaylock is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package ‘swaylock’ has no installation candidate”

I seem to remember installing it from Byzantium repo a few months ago on my Mini v2. Was I mistaken?

I’ll prob just build from source but wanted to check first.

Thanks

1 Like

Same issue here. Really keen on Wayland, and there seem to be no updates on Swaylock, still not in the repos with the same message. Given how much Purism contributes to Wayland, I think a comfortable way to get the full experience for the most popular text-based WM for it should be a given.
What options do we have for screen lock and dmenu alternatives in Sway?

I think Swaylock was in the repo when I initially set it up on PureOS but then it appeared to have been removed. I found this indicating

" [2021-07-20] swaylock REMOVED from testing (Debian testing watch)"

which I think might be due to this

" Debian version of swaylock (based on v1.5) in bullseye (currently testing branch) crashing"

While I quite like PureOS, I grew to like Sway very much and have ended up testing different distros in Boxes and on the Librem Mini v2 to see how the Sway experience feels. Currently I’m trialing Fedora on the Mini with Sway. Swaylock works fine and is the most recent version. It is a nice experience. EndeavourOS’s Sway is very customized as is Manjaro’s. I like the stock Sway followed by some personal tweaks.

Over at r/swaywm there are some threads (1, 2, 3) that discuss distros being used with Sway and many of them are heavily updated rolling distros such as Arch, Manjaro, Fedora, Endeavour.

Personally I’d prefer to use PureOS since I like the stated mission, like the company, and don’t mind many of the GNOME apps with Sway. However, currently the Sway packages that are available in Byzantium are older and Swaylock is absent.

Anyone else here using Sway with PureOS? Are you manually adding packages such as Swaylock from GitHub?