Targeted tracking of e-book and audiobook users by content providers

…and third-party scripts in apps and on public libraries’ websites: The mystery of the targeted ad and the library patron • The Register

2 Likes

Using Big Tech hardware, Google Chrome and visiting ‘free’ sites is a recipe for becoming a target.
Doing everything on-line is also a bad habit.
What’s wrong with reading a paper book?
How can one read while gaming?
This world is lost.

2 Likes

Storage, indexing maintenance, and obsolescence.

Main monitor for the game itself, and secondary monitor for a wiki. If you were being literal, games often have text that you can read using your eyes.

1 Like

What’s more shocking here, is that she would be an attorney…
Don’t this type of personel get training about privacy and security awareness and good/bad online practices? Aren’t these people supposed to protect themselves at least a bit more than the “usual unconcerned user”? Or at least have some awareness of privacy issues and common sense in her digital habits?
She must be exactly this type of person who always thought “Oh well…I have nothing to hide”
So, why does she even complain?

2 Likes

No, not necessarily. They work in the legal industry, not the security industry. Here is a resource that focuses on a lawyer’s priorities while crossing the border:

Relevant quote:

Related:

See also:

Relevant quote:

From Dr. Who “Spyfall Part 2”

BARTON: Thank you. Today, I’m here to say thank you to those of you all round the world who’ve made our achievements possible. To everyone who, over the years, has given us everything. We gave you pieces of plastic and circuitry and games, and you handed us - me, my company - total access to your lives. What you buy, where you go, who you text, what you text. Every thought and photo and post. Every credit card number, every birthday, every memorable place and all your mothers’ maiden names. So thank you for carrying our cameras in your pockets, and putting our microphones in your bedrooms. For signing up your kids, handing them our devices. We told you, of course your lives are private, of course your data’s safe. And you believed us. You kept clicking Agree. And now, we can do anything. I can send a text to every device on this planet.

4 Likes

An inconvenientt truth.

1 Like

But that article was about reading an ebook while gaming. Must be a very slow game then. Maybe chess. :face_with_monocle:

Or a muiltitasking capable person. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Listening to an audio book.

1 Like

The Deus Ex series has eBooks in-game which are tracked towards achievements.

Indeed, but to me it makes no difference.
Thank you for correcting me :slight_smile:

1 Like

To those who feel they have nothing to hide:
Millions of European Jews in 1930s-40s Europe had nothing to hide either…

2 Likes

Text based games?

2 Likes

Yes, the Persona series also incorporate visual novel elements.

It was not an “e-book” … it was an “audio book”. I’m quite sure I couldn’t do it,
but everyone is different.

To underscore the idea that “everyone is different”, there is a story that Feynman relates
in this context. It’s told as part of https://calteches.library.caltech.edu/607/2/Feynman.pdf . Specifically on page 6 of the pdf (numbered as page 16 of the article), there is a story about
how “reading interferes with counting” for one person (Tukey) while “talking interferes with counting” for someone else (Feynman).

I could not listen to a book while doing a game because … it turns out I’m very poor in terms
of audio processing content — I almost always process audio by using my “visual processing” abilities (I’m a mathematician who specialized in topology/geometry/algebra and I translate
everything into visual actions/objects). Basically I must visualize something to be able to process it (e.g. I can’t remember a name that someone says until I write it down or, in my mind, visualize that I’m writing it and spell it out). I know that others don’t have that problem and
can process audio directly.

2 Likes

The disturbing take-away from the article I posted is that someone’s private reading (or audiobook) history was being tracked and apparently trafficked by third parties, even on libraries’ own websites. Libraries are supposed to be more protective of patrons’ privacy and civil liberties, or so we all think.

3 Likes

Hmmm… that’s why I frequent Gutenberg, Internet Achive and authors that sell their work directly to readers. Failing that, I buy paper and find a digital, non-DRM copy… by any means at my disposal. Same with music, except it is an easy task to rip vinyl, tape or CD. If I buy a copy of a creative work, I believe that no one has the right to prevent me from re-formatting it for my own use.

2 Likes

I do not follow that line of thinking.

Libraries have traditionally defended First Amendment rights in those countries that don’t actually have First Amendment rights i.e. promoted your right to consume content, and opposed government attempts to ban content. So “civil liberties” in that sense. I don’t know about privacy specifically.

2 Likes

I was thinking the old text based games where you type: “Turn right”, “Forward”, “Pick up stick”.

No graphics. (Forces you to read.)

2 Likes