Testing PureOS in 720 x 1440 / "phone mode"

I develop programs on debian (mainly in nodejs right now) and am excited to be able to have a phone where I can write apps with a stack similar to desktop linux. My dream is to take my (desktop) game I’m in the process of creating and adapt some of the existing code to easily create a mobile version (it will be on the apps list when it’s ready…).

Because I want to wait for one of the more polished phones, specifically in batch “Chestnut” (I have plenty of other things to work out for my game right now), I’m trying to set up a PureOS virtual machine to have something for the mean time. (For reference, this is working just fine under “1 gb ram”, “16 gb storage”, and “Other Linux”, though it’s sometimes a bit laggy.)

I’ve heard PureOS is supposed to be convergent, running the same distro on both desktop and mobile, and thus — if I don’t mind the fact it may not behave like phone hardware, or I may later run into issues taking programs to an actual aarch64/armhf (?) architecture — just installing the image should be enough for simply testing out “installing a package to PureOS and making sure it works with GNOME-related software”.
But the PureOS settings have only a very specific set of screen resolutions, and I haven’t yet figured out how to “activate phone mode” so to speak — which to me just means having a 1:2 screen size and having the specific apps/windows that are already known to work on the phone work on what’s-technically-desktop-but-looks-like-a-phone.

Can I
A) set the resolution to the phone’s size of 720 x 1440
B) stop windows from overflowing off the screen and becoming unusable without dragging, which they already do at 800x600

If it’s too much trouble to configure a “desktop” install of wayland to have the librem 5’s screen resolution… how does the phone manage that?
I saw the thread about wayland being more efficient in terms of hardware/memory/something, but still have been really confused and curious after learning how restricted wayland is how it wasn’t a huge problem to get working on the phone… (this is a question, not an opinion)

(I’d consider installing xorg on my VM and seeing what happens, but at that point I may as well just stay on refracta because there I already don’t have a mobile architecture or wayland. :thinking:)

2 Likes

Did you look at the info here?

https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/ (Librem 5 Developer Documentation)

Maybe the part about emulators could be helpful:

https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Development_Environment/Boards/emulators.html

1 Like

That’s window manager task which you can easily achieve by using tiling WMs like sway (i personally still use i3 as Xwayland consumes far more resources than native Xorg).