[Text Review] Honest Librem 15v4 Review from old Macbook Pro User and Alternatives!

I’am not so into displays like you but i think a external monitor with factory calibration is more for you. And if you want to be portable and make some graphic stuff i’am sorry but get a razer blade with 4k touch panel and you get the best with a good gpu.

I hope i could help you with only half off your tech knowledge understandable for me.But i think forget to do such things with linux and open source notebooks. They have a lot more problems before the can watch for such things like apple can do or razer with a big budget. I also got a apple notebook for that with removed wifi for graphic works. OSX is the best for such things, but get your material with the librem haha and send it to the mac. stupid i know but if you want the best of all worlds with privacy forget to geht one notebook like before for alle things

i’m not interested in a laptop right now - just “trolling” the forums for my L5 …

1 Like

with 720p display the best one sure :stuck_out_tongue:

Regarding Bluetooth - I don’t care, never use as I try to avoid radiation from anywhere. I don’t even hardly know what is BT. For the same reason NO wifi for me. It’s OFF on my Mac, was OFF and always will be OFF. It is OFF on my Samsung Galaxy J2. My iMac is 2 yr old, and instead of wireless keyboard, I use a wired one from Aliexpress. The less wireless crap the better. You really have to read a lot to understand completely how poisonous to your body is WiFi, and to take it seriously. It’s for this same reason Steve Jobs paid with his life.
Listen to Dr. Mercola and many others. Avod WiFi, Bluetooth garbage…etc. “they” are working on reducing the population in US, slowly and surely, without anybody notice.

1 Like

So you use only ethernet?

Linux is good for non-technical people who don’t want to do anything special with their computer and for geeks who want to learn everything about their computer, but it is harder to use for all the people in the middle who don’t want to learn, but want to do more things with their computers.

Linux is perfect for people like my mother who just want to surf the web and use LibreOffice to write a few documents. Linux prevents people like that from screwing up the configuration of their computers and it is safe. Where Linux becomes hard is for non-technical people who want to buy new peripherals and install new software that they find on the internet and play the latest games.

When I said “small-scale manufacturing,” I was referring to the number of units being manufacturing. It costs more per unit to manufacture 1,500 Librem 13 laptops per year, than to manufacture 200,000 of a Clevo base model with similar specs.

I value repairability, upgradeability and good cooling more than being small and light, but preferences may vary.

My experience using old Thinkpads is that I had to constantly fix them, and I live in a part of the world where it is very difficult to get parts. The fan just died on my Thinkpad T450s, and it going to take me 3 weeks to get a replacement part. I don’t need the latest processor, but I do notice the difference in speed between a Core Duo and an 8th gen Core processor.

If you want secure communications with an unalterable identity, then you care about having a Trusted Platform Module chip. Actually lot of laptops have TPM now-a-days, so this isn’t that special anymore.

2 Likes

my lenevo x200 works perfekt and for 150USD you get used one with libreboot, no problem at all.
Okay i see what you mean with manufacturing, sorry.

What would be the problem to use the librem for casual people that aren’t technical:

• “I want bluetooth, why i can’t use it”
  • “Why there is no Spotify in the Store”
  • “Netflix isn’t so good like on my windows notebook”
  • “If i find a software in the web, can’t install it”
  • “My printer won’t work like on mac”
  • And and and…
    The problem is the terminal. All people that looked me using linus was a that’s to difficult or i want easy things… “i think i’am not so interesting for the companies and nothing to hide, i change to mac / windows” :wink:

this is exactly what I use. No wifi for me.I’m sure in the future WiFi will be much more safer, but today it is a source of EMF pollution. We all have so much radiation emitted by Cell towers, now almost at every intersection in every city and town, and every few miles along every highway. “Smart meters”, people around you everywhere with their smartphones…So I do my best to minimise the radiation as much as possible. Why to use wifi at home if you can use ethernet ??? It is safer, much more reliable and stable. I don’t even use my iMac’s wifi mouse, but the one also from Aliexpress. Both the KB and the mouse work flawlessly.