Thats why not to trust Signal but Threema

Title: Signal’s Terrible MobileCoin Betrayal
Source: Invidious

Your link does not work. The link is basically “Signal”.

1 Like

i believe that posting a simple url with visible text might make better sense for users of invidio-dot-us instances …

Nothing plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJoO2uWrX1M

If that’s the video the maker does explicitly recommend matrix because of its decentralization. I didn’t heard him talking about threema.

Also there is criticism about the crypto currency stuff like the comment of Bruce Schneier which is shown in the video. But the video makers argumentation is different from what Scheier says.

Also there are conspiracy theories around Signal. I leave it up to you if this stuff is substantial or not. Anyway here is a conspiracy theory from my side: As millions of users migrated to Signal FB and whatsapp might feel under pressure already and put out misinformation. That the Guy calls himself “The Hated One” is minor but still doesn’t raise his reputation in my eyes. I don’t know anything more about him.

Today Signal is the messanger with the best crypto and privacy except its centralized structure and the use of phone number for IDs. They are working on the latter.

Also there was a comment on the problems of scaling a messenger (network) when it gets features beyond sending texts. But I don’t think that all audio and video calling data go through Signal’s servers. I guess that there is some crypto negotiation and then the clients talk P2P.

Halfknowledge as usual from my side. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

From my perspective, there is also a practical aspect to using signal vs threema or any other secure messenger, namely, I have been successful getting people to use signal but much less successful with threema.

3 Likes

Is that because one is free and the other is not?

3 Likes

Your question might be taken as self-explanatory answer at the same time, but is it because (?): “Signal sold out their user base by creating and marketing a cryptocurrency based solely on their ability to sell the future tokens to a captive audience.

See also (just coincidence): “Encrypted messaging app Signal stops working in China”.

It might be, apparently $1.99 is too much to spend on privacy :wink:. I have begun telling folks that Threema is my backup to Signal should Signal ever have any issue, or if someone doesn’t like giving out their number.

2 Likes

I agree that Threema is good, but I don’t really see how Signals efforts in crypto currency and payments are really that big of a problem. If you are really going to have a problem with Signal because of that, then you will eventually have a problem with all services you don’t directly host yourself.

That said hosting yourself is the best way to not care in general about what Signal or Threema do.

Prosody or Rocket Chat for the win. (and hopefully one day Matrix, once the thing is stable and reliable)

1 Like

Strangely enough that has been an issue (which I was surprised by), but the other reason seems to be branding, signal is well know, threema less so.

2 Likes

I personally trust Signal a lot based on my experience using TextSecure back in the openwhispersystem days, like 9 years ago at this point. Moxie has a lot of reputation in the hacker community so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the crypto, and see how it turns out before rushing to judgement. I think the reasoning on why they made their own crypto makes sense, though I’m personally hoping they eventually add support for other cryptos like stablecoins.

1 Like

Personally, I just started doing the research myself, but based upon some major discriminating factors listed here https://threema.ch/en/messenger-comparison but also in other independent reviews (see below), I was leaning towards threema.

1. anonymous registration.
  2. most recent independent audit (2020).
  3. Switzerland-based which has the best privacy laws sadly.
3 Likes

Agreed, but as others have stated getting people to switch messenger apps is like pulling teeth!

1 Like

Well, my primary purpose is for family and close colleagues who are also exploring other non-FAAMG options, and haven’t already invested their time in signal or telegram, so now is a good time at least for us.

2 Likes

One thing about threema is that there are no video calls (or at least I haven’t found the ability to do so).

For free or paid versions because there is this: https://threema.ch/en/faq/calls_how_to

4 Likes

Yeah, totally is there. It came only in the last year or so but it is there.

4 Likes

@Gavaudan, perhaps is all right to point out that Threema for Android is available (directly) for degoogled phones and costs only $4.42.

1 Like