The current state of the Librem 5 is... actually pretty good?

I love using mpv as my music player on mobile linux. Just open up a terminal and play whatever music/video file you like. Battery and resource usage is probably superior to anything else available. Maybe it will meet your needs.

Just throwing this out there: Have you tried using one of the web browsers to play music? (I don’t think you mentioned whether we are talking MP3, FLAC or something else.) Obviously once you are doing it that way, you can organise the music in much more advanced ways i.e. anything your web server is capable of (which may be a local web server).

I wouldn’t normally suggest something like this but given you say “I am a heavy GNU/Linux user so I’m coming in to this with a more advanced user background” it might be something to pursue.

Yes, they should warn more explicitly about this. The app seems to have gone off into la-la land but comes good eventually. (Based on the numbers you gave, I imagine that you have more music on your phone than I do but even for me Lollypop still went away for a disconcerting amount of time.)

Check out Amberol. It works well, and it fits perfectly on L5 screen. The only thing is that it’s super simple, so I don’t know if it’ll be a good fit for you.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I’m using Tubefeeder + Clapper for managing and watching my Youtube subscriptions. Works well enough for me.

Is there anywhere that documents what all the icons on the Activity Bar mean?

Most I can identify but there are a few that show up on the right side with horizontal bars through them that I don’t have a clue for.

1 Like

You mean the ones for microphone and camera that disappear once you disengage their kill switch?

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

That’s definitely two of em

1 Like

I am insanely jealous! This is the one thing I am struggling with. If I can just get that working I could cope with the rest of the issues.

It’s out now, by the way.

1 Like

Great, now I got it installed:

purism@pureos:~$ uname -a
Linux pureos 6.2.0-1-librem5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 13 08:37:05 UTC 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Now it will be interesting to see if it helps with the mobile data issue.

1 Like

With MMS, mmsd-tng tries to autopopulate it’s values from mobile-broadband-provider-info:

I am on T-mobile, and I don’t have to fiddle with the MMS settings at all since it is populated for me. Do you see the APN settings there for AT&T? If not, it would be nice to make an MR to add them.

If you do, perhaps there is an issue with mmsd-tng that I need to fix.

1 Like

I see my settings in there.
Were they supposed to auto-populate in the settings in Chatty or anything? If so, I don’t think they did.

I tried the settings from my wife’s phone (enhancedphone) before switching back to NXTGENPHONE based off of another post I saw on the forum.

It was the setting change in the GNOME Settings > Mobile that finally got MMS to work though (also NXTGENPHONE).

Were they supposed to auto-populate in the settings in Chatty or anything?

Correct. If the settings are default, mmsd-tng is supposed to look for settings based on your MNC/MCC and the current APN you are connected to. If it finds it, it will autopopulate the settings.

I also just tested: https://gitlab.com/kop316/mmsd/-/commit/03599a186e2e56bfc03ee93dc50a125ade73892f

And it appears to work? I supposed when you first tried ENHANCEDPHONE, mmsd-tng populated those settings first then you had to change to NEXTGENPHONE, which mmsd-tng didn’t pick up on.

I was wondering the other day if the mobile-broadband-provider, and other mms settings should be moved to the network manager settings, exposed gnome settings for mobile. It seems it makes sense to centralize these so any app could pull from that information (including chatty) and the autopopulate function could live there too with e.g. options:

1. “default” settings stored and pulled from phone settings/configuration files by manufacturer,
  2. “auto” attempts to find information, or
  3. “manual” override by user, or something like that…

Currently in network manager:

Its currently missing from networkmanager, can’t that be added or is there already a user story for that?
https://developer-old.gnome.org/NetworkManager/1.2/nmcli.html

type gsm [ apn APN ] [ username user ] [`password passwd ] apn APN - GSM Access Point Name.
user user name.
password password.

" I swapped my already working SIM (AT&T in the United States) into the L5 and booted it up… Phone calls… I tried a few other people, calling and receiving. Phone calls work totally fine"

I’m baffled by this: I thought that all the major carriers in the USA now require the use of VoLTE. And, I also thought that VoLTE does not yet work on the L5.

Am I mistaken? Or has VoLTE started working on the L5 due to some recent updates?

It always worked, although compatibility with carriers varies with firmware versions and still isn’t perfect.

I didn’t understand that nuance, thanks.

How would I go about finding info on the firmware version of my L5 device, and which USA carriers it would work with?

Here is something about that:

The best source I know is this page: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Cellular-Providers

Myself, I had seen enough people mention AT&T working in the forums that I was pretty confident mine would work, especially since this SIM was already working on an “allowed” phone.

According to the BM818 Tools app, VoLTE is running for me.
Should AT&T take actions to make my L5 unusable on their network, I’ll end my family plan and just get something cheap through T-Mobile. I like my family plan but if they don’t want my business, **** em.

Or, an even better scenario is that there will be a new modem I can swap in come that time that AT&T will play nicely with.
I know Purism has made a few hints at new modems but nothing announced yet.

1 Like

I know that I played with settings in GNOME Settings > APN first.
It listed only cingular endpoints like wap.cingular. One of those (forget which) worked for SMS and calls. After putting in the APN info in chatty (or more likely running some updates) it was when I noticed NXTGENPHONE listed in GNOME Settings.

I don’t remember my exact steps but it’s very likely there was some user error involved.