The Need For Clear Communications From Purism

Except no evidence that it does not make calls.

7 Likes

Purism promised a shipping window. A few people, even if they are affiliated with Purism, have received a fully assembled phone, which means Purism’s statement of shipping fully assembled phones at the start of that window was correct, and not a lie, even if it doesn’t have the meaning a lot of people thought.

There are still ~3 weeks left in the Aspen window. Purism did not promise uniform delivery across that shipping window. If they want to load the shipments towards the end so that people have the most refined experience possible with the Aspen batch, that’s fine with me.

11 Likes

That is a double-negative, they could be positive and show us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you positive its a double negative? sorry I just had too.

6 Likes

There is no semantic exit to the illusion they want us to accept - the shipping schedule is concealed development. What’s the point?

I’m not entirely sure I understand what you mean.
All the software development is tracked and publicly accessible.
The hardware development is not, as taken from the FAQ page:

Will this be an “open hardware” design?
Our intention is to have everything freed down to the schematic level, but have not cleared all design, patents, legal, and contractual details. We will continue to advance toward this goal as it aligns with our long-term beliefs.

I know this isn’t quite the same thing as publishing batch info, but I’m just saying they never said everyone can follow the hardware progress in real time.

4 Likes

Purism is miss-manipulating language to redefine the generally accepted concept of ‘shipping’ to provide more time. No one really cares how long it reasonable takes but undermining the ‘openness’ of the project is directly contradictory.

2 Likes

i dont think it’s fair to assume that nobody has a phone simply because we haven’t seen it yet in the forum. Besides, there are pictures in the mastodon page of the phone being used.

2 Likes

I agree with your general seniment.
Would you agree that, removing our giddiness from the equation, it would make a lot of sense to do a batch report after each batch, maybe with a forecast on improvements for the next batch?
A post to confirm they do what they said they would do seems a bit weird.
I’d hope for a proper shipping update around Oct 22.

So far, there was no September (software) update, and certainly not because of a lack of things to report. It’ll be big. Hope they’ll soon find time for it.

6 Likes

We know ‘investor 1’ has a phone. He demonstrated a silent call. I want to be heard :slight_smile:

As in a successful dial and connect? That counts, doesn’t it? Or are you concerned with the microphone and speaker? I was under the impression that the concern lay with successful connection, or have I missed something?

1 Like

He could say “Hi”, and the other end could say “Bye”.

1 Like

He could have, yes, but that’s like test driving a car and then not being satisfied with the MPG rating because you didn’t get to run the fuel tank dry.

There could always be more information, yes, I agree with you. It would, in fact, be welcome. But there are no issues on the tracker relating to not being able to call and you said yourself that a successful connection was made. So 1) somebody (likely multiple, but that is unconfirmed) has a phone and 2) they did demonstrate a phone call. I think perhaps this is just impatience rearing its ugly head

3 Likes

A typical story at the end of a shipping window at the companies I’ve worked:

Don’t park your car near the dock, they might ship it.

5 Likes

We probably do have enough topics on this all saying the same thing …

3 Likes

I gotta be honest, I’ve spent more on drinks showing up to this guy s shows. I mean, yeah, I’m not all business-y and all that but I take nothing from anyone, I work full time, I pay my bills and after all my obligations are met : I wanna have fun! Be it the joy of helping others (and yeah, I see buying this phone as an act of altruism) or getting drunk and yelling “Wooooo!”, it’s my hard earned money and if I want to fit the stereotype of Jane six pack, that’s my business.

2 Likes

No no, It’s just got to be “Ahoy hoy” !
Pretty pretty please whomever is reading and has that opportunity first :smiley:

Voice demonstrations of the Librem 5 capabilities have been either weak or non-existent. It’s more like a car dealer starting a car, putting it in gear, then putting it back in park, and then saying ‘believe me, it does drive’. All we know is that the phone does ring when someone calls. Whatever the reason, communicating is always better than not communicating. How much time and effort can it take to post one or two sentences here to update us on status? All we know is that there appears to be a delay and that they choose not to tell us why. Maybe there is a good reason and maybe not. We’ll see what is happening a few weeks from now or else have reason for real concern then, if not.

5 Likes

How many dealerships do you think could get away with selling a (much less multiple) car(s) like that that didn’t drive? Y’all are missing the point that there are people out there who have the phones, we just haven’t seen them yet. Again, impatience is rearing its ugly head. You’re worrying about things no one (here) knows anything about, like one might worry about when the next meteor will strike. All will be well. The absolute worst case scenario is that you get your money back and you’re no worse off than you are right this very second.

7 Likes

For those who think things are too quiet, follow the Librem 5 software activity here -

There are a lot of updates happening every day with the software, and you can see what the developers are up to :slight_smile:

If you look at things from week-to-week (as opposed to day-to-day or hour-to-hour), a lot is going on. I’m pretty sure Purism is still revving up the mass production of phones. Maybe they produced 10 phones the first week, 20 this week, 30 next week etc. Or maybe just 50 in the 1st month.

Could be an age thing, but I’m pretty patient. If I check back in a month, I think we’ll see several “I got mine” posts here, as well as videos . And maybe a few on Ebay (with a huge mark-up) for those that want their phone “right now”.

Half a year (really not that long) I think we will be well into the free phone revolution :slight_smile: And hopefully the other Linux phone (Pine Phone) will start ramping up as well. I hope both phones do great!

If the worst naysayers were right (which I doubt), Purism is still producing a lot of free software for the phone (see link above!), which can be used by other, future Linux phones. In totality, what Purism is doing is very hard, and totally awesome.

If not seeing a ton of information day-to-day is stressing you out, I’d recommend checking out a little while (a couple weeks) and come back. If nothing more than the software advances happened in that time, we would still be making progress in rescuing smartphones from the current phone duopoly.

11 Likes