There are no apps in PureOS store

I tried to make use of flatpak, but it seems it is not installed on my Librem5:

"How to get PureOS Store Flatpaks
If you are on the latest version of PureOS, you should already see Flatpaks in PureOS Store. "

PureOS store is V 41.4

But there are no apps at all in the PureOS store !? How can I solve this??

1 Like

The store is a bit temperamental. Sometimes it loads apps quickly, sometimes it takes a while.

From your pictures, it appears you don’t have a very strong wifi signal (or it changes intermittently), so that might be part of the problem. If you’re connecting to 5 Ghz wifi, then you might try a 2.5 Ghz connection instead.

I see that your mobile signal isn’t connecting yet, either.

1 Like

If you open the Terminal and execute the command flatpak list, you’ll see a list of any installed flatpaks.

Once the store populates, the installed app list should also show them.

Also remember, you can search beyond the curated list in those screen default categories. Use the magnifying glass icon to search by name or type. Not all will be adaptable to the small screen (or even work properly), but many will be usable (unofficially, if you will).

1 Like

There is no single flatpak installed.
Schermafdruk van 2024-10-20 19-18-00

1 Like

The wifi download speed seems not to be the problem
Schermafdruk van 2024-10-20 19-20-50

I have tried to download apps a few days ago and waited for ages, but nothing happend. It must be something else.

I’ll return here tomorrow. Thanks for your support.

1 Like

No problem. They should still be installable from the store. Check the Preferences in the store’s menu to make sure they’re being displayed as available.

1 Like

Try a sudo apt update in Terminal, and if any updates are found, then execute a sudo apt upgrade to apply updates.

Eventually, the store app should behave itself.

1 Like

I had already done that a few times. Everything is uptodate.

2 Likes

OPINION
A “bit temperamental”!?!? A “bit”? It’s more than a “bit”

And, sometimes it take longer than 1 hour - (that’s when I gave up) and this can be repeated every day, any day.

Why not replace the PureOS Store with link to where ever Flatpaks are available? And, in the Link to Flartpaks, place link to Linux 101 For Noobs?

2 Likes

For you and many others, yes; it’s a known bug that will hopefully be improved. But the store app works fine for me most of the time, and I suspect for a lot of other users as well. Incidentally, the “store” (repository) on my computer running Linux Mint take a while to load as well, even with its 8Gb of RAM. (Librem 5 has 3Gb of RAM.) It has to fetch the updated list; that’s just how it is.

Because this is not how Linux distributions operate, and because flatpaks are only one kind of package that the Librem 5 makes available for installation.

Removing the link to the PureOS repository (i.e. the store app) would necessitate downloading directly from websites, which could lead to security compromises if one isn’t careful, or else using only the Terminal - for installing, uninstalling, listing what’s already installed - and discovering new apps would be more difficult because users might not know any part of the name of an app they want, and would not be able to simply browse a “catalog” out of interest, at least not easily, and especially if they’re unfamiliar with Linux systems.

Flatpaks can be installed independently of the store app, after (I think) flathub is installed from https://flathub.org/… but that can eat up a lot of space on the drive.

Plus, there’s no guarantee that these other options will get you applications that are adapted to small-screen, touch-based mobile usage. That’s why the store app displays an initial set of apps that are officially adapted by their developers, although there are plenty more to discover.

That’s a good suggestion.

3 Likes

No idea why, but this morning, after starting Librem5, the PureOS store was available and I was able to download new flatpak apps.

3 Likes

That’s just the way it works sometimes :saluting_face:

3 Likes

Yes, I noticed it and still have to get used to it. Not a big issue for the moment. I’m new to Librem5 and PureOS. Have had good experience with Ubuntu 12 for years until now Ubuntu 24.04 running on laptop and desktop.

2 Likes

For people who may be new to Linux in general, I highly recommend avoiding the App Store as it is slow and crashy. Here is what I do to find and install new software:

1. Search the internet or Apps | LinuxPhoneApps.org or https://flathub.org/
  2. Install non-flathub-packages as follows: sudo apt install “XXX” (the XXX is the name of your package, see number 1, above, if you have any questions. Better yet, go here, to read about APT https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-use-apt-command/)
  3. Install flathub packages following the instructions on Flathub. Uninstall in a similar fashion.

Done. That is it. It is really quite simple. I even disabled the App-Store because I don’t use it and it takes up a little memory on the Librem 5.

Ok. I said what I had to say. To each their own if you do not like my method.

2 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with you but… on some devices it works fine and there aren’t any issues.
:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I agree but I almost never use “the software center” in various Linux distros. I find them universally clumsy. Maybe I am weird.

4 Likes