There doesn't seem to be a firewall?!

I’m the proud recipient of a new phone :slight_smile:
I’ve been going the the initial steps and looked for the firewall, but I’m getting a negative result…
I’ve looked over this Firewall and Librem 5 thread - and it seems from that thread that ufw should be installed - and thare’s a recommendation to install firewalld - is there any reason neither are installed? Is that how it should be?
Thanks

Hi pseud,

you can install one if you like. Just watch at the Documentation of other Linux Wikis or Manuals.

Beginners do not need one, because on Linux most Ports are closed by default and if the Human do not like one Service/Program to open Ports, it can be killed or disable to not start an boot.

Nerds like to have Firewalls on Android, because they want to disable untrustful (or insecure, one without Updates) Applications to access the Internet or to use a VPN for routing everything over an encrypted Channel.

However if you know what you want to do, like to drop every connection to known Facebook or Google Services (via IP), its more comfortable to do this with a firewall script instead of using a browser Plugin.

Like everything, knowledge is important and if you have a default installation of a firewall and newbies click on cancel some connection, they might end up in a System without Internet or Updates. :wink:

So its good to have no preset for a firewall. You can just install your favorite (Linux) one, where you feel comfortable with. I am just not sure about the Power/Energy consumption. Not every Desktop or Laptop usage is perfect for a Smartphone.

Have fun!

Christal

Are you certain that firewalld is not installed already?

$ sudo apt install firewalld
[sudo] password for purism: 
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for purism: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  ipset libipset13 libnftables1 python3-decorator python3-firewall python3-nftables python3-selinux python3-slip python3-slip-dbus
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  firewalld ipset libipset13 libnftables1 python3-decorator python3-firewall python3-nftables python3-selinux python3-slip
  python3-slip-dbus
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Yup :slight_smile:
But, is now

1 Like