ThinkVision P27h 27" Monitor and Librem 13

Hi all. I have a Librem 13 and a ThinkVision P27h 27" Monitor which has a USB C port and a USB hub. If I plug my work based late 2019 MacBook Pro into the monitor via USB C, I can plug the keyboard and mouse into the monitor and my Mac can use them.

I’d like to use my Librem 13 for work since Apple’s Unix is a bit kludgy and surly. I tried doing this on the Librem but I am not able to use the USB hub on the monitor. Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible? If I got a USB A > USB A cable, would that work?

Are you saying that video out from the Librem 13 via the USB-C port to the monitor works but then the USB hub on the monitor does not?

Or are you saying that neither the video nor the USB hub works?

No. On the MacBook Pro, if I plug the USB-C port on the Mac to the USB-C port on the monitor, the monitor will power the MBP and also allow me to use the USB hub on the monitor.

On the Librem I get neither. :frowning:

My understanding is that this is expected and documented behaviour. The USB-C port on the Librem laptops can only be used in “USB mode”, not one of the “alternate modes”.

It wasn’t clear to me from the tech specs of that monitor, which alternate mode the monitor wanted to use (could be Thunderbolt, could be DisplayPort, could even be HDMI) but I don’t think any of the alternate modes will work anyway on the laptop.

If you want official confirmation of that then you should officially ask Purism.

Let’s assume that I am correct … then you may need to use an HDMI cable to get video working with that monitor.

There is an outside chance that if you can get video working via HDMI then you can persuade the monitor to operate the hub via normal USB functionality at the same time as taking video via HDMI, with the monitor’s USB-C port either connected to a type-A port on the laptop (with an adapter) or, if you are super lucky, just type-C to type-C. That would perhaps be of some convenience to you but you would have to like tinkering, to see whether you can get it working.