This call has been placed using our 3G network

Hi,

recently I started getting a warning that my calls are using the Fido 3G network when I make a call. The phone shows 4G at the top in the banner. The message goes on to say that they will be discontinuing 3G July 31st.

If I set the phone to 4G only I can neither make nor receive calls.

What need I do to keep using the phone after July 31st? Do I need to switch to another provider?

Does anyone have suggestions for BC Canada services?

It’s because the call is using HSPA not LTE. All voice traffic is going to VoLTE or 5G now so that’s why you’re getting the warning. Until L5 gets a 5G modem but even then the networks will not certify the L5 on their networks. Your options are porting your cell number to a service like jmp.chat who offer SIP service, then just get a LTE data only account for your L5 and go that route. That’s what I’m going to do when the time comes.

Do you have VoLTE switched on in the Mobile Settings BM818 Tool app? (It’s not clear from the OP.)

Yes, I use Freedom Mobile.

Also see: Rogers Canada No Go
(Since Fido “is” Rogers.)

And: Canadian users - Rogers does not support VoLTE for Librem5

I can’t find volte in the mobile settings.

I meant to say in the BM818 Tool app. Sorry.
I’ve edited my previous comment.

Thanks for the responses here. My apologies - I get sidetracked from time to time and only now came back to this.

So I installed the bm818-tool app and check the VoLTE enable check box. On exit I get:

$ bm818-tool
trying port /dev/ttyUSB2
trying port /dev/ttyUSB3
Can't get CBS status None
activating
Success

But I still get the message I am on 3G.

If I run it as root the app doesn’t launch.

@amarok - looking at the thread you posted : Rogers Canada No Go it seems I am simply SOL with Rogers/Fido.

@FranklyFlawless - I’ll try Freedom again. I did a year ago but for some reason I couldn’t sign up. I kept getting errors creating an account. I’ll call them and see what I can do. Does your L5 work OK there? How is the data? I have never been able to send images via SMS with Fido.

I think it’s necessary to restart the phone after enabling VoLTE, but… yeah… Rogers. :roll_eyes:

Yes, I do not use data, but it is possible to send images. Note that the Librem 5 on Freedom Mobile can only use either the cellular network or mobile data at any moment in time, not both at once:

I have not verified whether this situation has changed on Mobian ‘Bookworm’ yet.

Indeed it shows as enabled after a phone restart. Thanks for that.

It still says I am on 3G and doesn’t connect when I set it to 4G only.

I am more than happy to ditch Rogers.

I don’t really understand this, is ‘mobile data’ not using the cellular network?

Or do you mean I must choose between voice and data?

sorry for my ignorance.

Paul

The latter.

Got it.

Thanks.