Time to flash is now - but how?

@irvinewade @amarok @shopping4purism
At first just toggle Data on and off didn’t not work. So I disabled data, restart device, enable - fixed.

Too, it really didn’t install upgrade or update the OS because the last OS had more program icons, and various screens didn’t overlap to the right. I didn’t add them. A very recent upgrade or update was a cosmetic and icon improvement. I think this exercise resulted in a very old install of much earlier versions of the OS.

I missed the celebration of life for Chat. R.I.P. Chat. Will hunt for a good chat program, stalker or not. Don’t care any more so long as it works. I try to send 1 text w/ pic and I see 6 of the same sent at the same time, but pics w/ images, or the smiley don’t go anywhere - just multiply like rabbits. There is no telling if it goes or not. Just sits there looking smart. Confirmed with other people that they receive a text, but not if there is a pic in it. Maybe I need to upgrade Chat for the Pro ver$ion.

Display is set to 720 x ??? and 200 x ??? (???) is offside. Zoom is 200%

Almost forgot to mention that the Pure OS Store is anorexic now that it’s back to the snail-pace load of the screen (don’t dare mention it might be my ISP) it take several minutes to show ONE available app. Leaving that page using < or swipe does nothing but lock the screen. Press Power button, log back in and then close Store and re-open to expect the same service!
BEFORE resorting to a week of flashing, the store loaded fast, pages like Create were very different than the existing Twilight zoned imitation of a store. It literally takes 2-4 minutes for the category to end up displaying a white page.

I did the Upgrades and Updates and it says to do. Can’t even install apps that don’t show up in the Store (polite word for nowhere land.)

All that flash trial and error for nothing. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

In my experience, sometimes it takes a minute or two for a SIM to acquire the mobile network. I don’t ever toggle on and off.

Right. What flashing does is install a “baseline” image with a select few programs. It wipes out anything you had before. That’s why it’s recommended to back up your list of installed applications before flashing, to make it easier to find and reinstall them.

lsb_release -c
If it returns byzantium, then it’s just a question of applying any available updates to bring everything up to date. If it returns amber, then that’s a problem; it would mean that somehow the script downloaded the wrong version.

I’m not sure how to fix Chats issues. Did you re-add the Koodo MMS settings, by the way? (Don’t forget you will also need bm818-tools for VoLTE.)

Hmm. That shouldn’t happen. The default is 720 x 1440 and 200%. Try reducing it, then enlarging it again.
Also remember to reinstall phosh-mobile-settings, which allows auto-compositing selected apps to fit the screen.

A known issue, unfortunately. Sometimes it performs reasonably well, sometimes not.

By the way, sudo apt update updates native apps, but not flatpaks, so if there are any installed, you also need to do flatpak update for those.

2 Likes

Both Koodo and Volte are set properly - same as before the multi-flashing. Checked and tipple checked w/ Koodo site. Volte is enabled CBS not checked.
lsb_version -c shows “codename byzantium”

phosh-mobile-settings is already the newest version” so says sudo apt install phosh-mobile-settings

That is new to me. The last upgrade/date (a few days ago before last sort-of-successful pre-flash that added several new icons, changed others (like the screencap app) and added a in-between screens background. It’s why I think this is waiting for that update. Yet, upgrade and update show everything is updated/upgraded.

I’ve been reading a large novel at flatpak web site how-to’s.

As for Puri store, the one that came w/ last up-something showed what appeared to be a faster very different layout.

Thanks amarok for trudging through this with me. I’m learning.

2 Likes

The store updates them along with native packages, however in terminal, you have to run that command separately to update them.

Probably not needed, unless you’re just interested.

1 Like

Since you did not know about flatpak I guess you don’t have any installed.

If you want to check if you do have installed one ore more flatpak apps,
you just need to type into terminal:
flatpak list
This command shows all installed flatpaks.

1 Like

Question for @Sharon
What commands did or do you use to update/upgrade?

1 Like

I thought it might help me get it device to where it was when Puri put the last update/grade and to find some
wares in a list of some good apps Programs.

1 Like

Have Warp and “… …latform 44” whatever that is.

sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt update

1 Like

Commands should be in the opposite order.

2 Likes

Sometimes you need to use

1. sudo apt update
  2. sudo apt full-upgrade

The why and when using 2) is not clear to me, but when I experience upgrade issue’s
I use the ‘full-upgrade’ method.

1 Like

full-upgrade may remove incompatible packages in order to install new ones.

1 Like

In the context of this topic, I would recommend sticking with upgrade and avoiding full-upgrade

1 Like

I’ve known that for some time now.

What Store! During one of the 2nd last successful (sort of) flash’s it showed a all new screen. New layout, new apps, new icons, and, it was fast. Not this long wait for a category to populate. Now Store Cats loads empty boxes with editor’s pics starting, but nothing shows up, after a few minutes, the Cat screen goes white - tried all of them.

I did so because I read a bit about other’s installing a ‘flatpak’. Thinking it was probably well populated store I was wrong. Meh - never hurts to try.

So, I was looking for a reliable source of a lot of available programs. I looked at what flatpaks was about.

Still, no pics w/ texts. No source for apps. Phone (calling/receiving) dials out but can’t hear the caller.

I just wish I could find a use for this.

C’est la vie

1 Like