Why I stopped using my Librem 5 after two weeks of hassle

Dont like this, too. With every decent computer the display scaling would be persistent (except you choose different). My Librem5 does not even stay with any value but 200%. I’m old but I have good glasses - why am I forced to this kindergarten-200%-view?

1 Like

Because you don’t know how to set up your system correctly. :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact, it’s not your fault. Such things should be set by settings. But you can change this manually. Create a file in /etc/phosh/ called phoc.ini and enter these lines:

[output:DSI-1]
scale = 1.5

or instead 1.5 (150%) you can choose any other scale you want. After each restart it will be set to this value. And written in etc makes changes persist against updates. It overwrites the lines of /usr/share/phosh/phoc.ini, which can be updated and so they’re not persist.

9 Likes

Display scale issue resolved

Kind answer reflecting the dilemma with Librem5 … Result is:

YEAH!
This looks good and it works! Thank you!

Remark: Dir

/etc/phosh/

did not exist.
ssh, mkdir, vi, paste, reboot: Fine,
it works!

This should be part of the Manual
(better: default + GUI-stuff)

Appreciate your help!

3 Likes

I had this problem when using Mullvad VPN. I also have Protonvpn and the MMS do come through with protonvpn. so, this isn’t a generic vpn issue. It seems to vary from based on which vpn?

1 Like

We are edging ever closer to AI consciousness, so the machines that exploit you may spite you and shove the knife deeper through their manipulation of those around you to make you go back.

So, good luck! The software debt runs very deep if we are going to catch up to the world of proprietary garbage, and just as soon as we do they will likewise push ahead to surpass us. But if we can be okay with that, pick specific objectives and then hack the handset until it meets those objectives, it can be a good life. Or at least it seems that way to me.

I use 2 chargers and 4 batteries for my Librem 5, and it can instant charge without turning off by plugging in the L5 power, removing the battery while it’s on, and inserting the new battery. So for me, device power and availability seem to be surpassing Android in some ways.

4 Likes

“Why I never actually started using my Librem5 after two years of hassle”
it should read for me …

The Librem5 can consecutively run several weeks the PureOS Store update without result.
This spring it “only” took 1 week consecutively running the PureOS Store update and it came to some result. That was luck!

What bothers me more / this is a mere request for help:
Permanently 70 - 79% of CPU ressources is used by a process “gnome-usage”
having no recognised task but warming the device and the charger.
top and device monitor show the same result.
This way the device shows very low performance and 1/2 day battery life if not using it for anything.

What commands do I need to get that sorted out?

3 Likes

Personally, I never use the PureOS Store. Basically it is GNOME Software, and a pretty old version of it, which hangs way too often. And even on newer versions this is not totally fixed.

I recommend the following to update: in the terminal type:

sudo apt update

The command above will check for updates, but not install them.
To install the updates, run:

sudo apt full-upgrade

Regarding the gnome-usage. I guess you see this when you open the Usage app. gnome-usage is actually the Usage app itself, so if you close it, it stops using the CPU.

Normally I use the top command to see CPU usage, but unfortunately, on the small screen of the Librem 5 it is not so useful, but you could try it in landscape mode, with the keyboard collapsed.

3 Likes
2 Likes

And, to be clear,

sudo apt upgrade

will upgrade the packages on the phone that have been upgraded in the repository.

It is my understanding that the rolling release nature of byzantium required the “sudo apt full-upgrade” but now that byzantium is under maintainance rather than development the consensus is that “sudo apt upgrade” is preferred.

“apt update” doesn’t update the the phone, it updates the phone’s database of packages available in the repositories.

4 Likes

This is a bug in gnome-usage in Byzantium where rendering the graphs takes that much memory. If you scroll the graph rendering out of the view CPU usage will go down. This also isn’t an issue with the GTK4 version of usage.

top or htop provider better results on Byzantium.

7 Likes

Could you please tell us which charger ?

1 Like

Sure. I think it speaks to how disorganized these forums are for people to have to sift through. I’ve definitely uploaded a photo of my chargers in other threads, possibly multiple times, because I boast about this way of handling it frequently, because it works well for me.

But the truth is that I started with 3 chargers and two broke, so I was using my old L5 (from before I bought the 4GB ram version) as a charger, and one of the original chargers that I started with. Because these chargers are literally $9 cheap junk from Amazon. And so they work really well until pieces break off or they quit working. I actually recently ordered some more of them to get an order on Amazon to give me free shipping.

So, if we care about planet earth and about data privacy, Amazon is probably not good… and cheap junk chargers that break after 6 months of uses are probably also not good. Thus I am unsure if I’m qualified to suggest to you what I was using, because I did not do a lot of investigation to determine that it is the best option, and instead operated off of the recommendation of a smart and cool friend.

But last time I wanted to find them on Amazon I literally just typed in “Kastar Universal Charger” to find them. Maybe you can find a better and more robust version of the same thing.

4 Likes

A better place to document this is the Tested Accessories Wiki.

However noone has put any 3rd party chargers in there - and, from the sounds of it, yours isn’t exactly recommended anyway.

3 Likes

Great. Found at Kastar intelligent mini travel Charger for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, SIII Mini, i8190, Exhibit T599, S Duos S7562, Ace 2 X S7560M, GT-I8160, GT-I8200, EB425161LA, EB425161LU, EB-L1M7FLU
Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Just keep in mind that 2 terminal chargers for lithium batteries are dangerous and should never be left unattended when charging.

It would be a service to the L5 community for someone with these chargers to verify whether these chargers completely stop charging when the charger “determines” that the battery is “fully charged” and/or measures the battery voltage when charging is complete with a meter and/or a Librem 5.

2 Likes

I have been extremely careless about this and left them unattended without really internalizing that this was an issue. Someone might have told me in the past, but I forgot.

Knock on wood, I didn’t cause any apparent visual hazards yet. But I guess that doesn’t mean it wasn’t possible.

Edit: Actually, for what it’s worth, I use an extremely-water-absorbent “Nylon 11” 3D-printed version of the Librem 5 back plate. And the plate has “water” marks on it surrounding where the batteries go. Are those related and are those a concern?

2 Likes

I’ve yet to encounter a leaking lithium battery , so I am not familiar with its effects. Carbon-zinc, alkaline, NiCad, and NiMH cells leak a powdery ooze which is corrosive, but I haven’t heard of them causing fires. Overcharged lithium cells can cause large, posibly explosive, fires which spread to adjacent cells.

There is no magic 100% charge level for lithium cells. Each manufacturer makes some kind of capacity/safety compromise/tradeoff when specifying maximum cell voltage for “100%” charge. In any case, maximum charge level is extremely sensitive to temperature, so chargers need to monitor cell temperature, possibly with the sensor in the battery. It is so difficult to properly charge lithium batteries that the batteries have internal ICs that, among other things, sum up complete and partial charge/discharge cycles and block charging once the count reaches some maximum. Using a charger which bypasses or ignores safeguards risks a large fire.

1 Like

Maybe this one is better (has an AC plug) and looks more reliable than the Kastar: Amazon.com
and Onite/Amazon delivers to France with less fees (10$) than Kastar (33$). I also could not find Kastar to buy on Amazon for France at least. I wonder if they are not emptying their stock (There are also “special prices” on mykastar.com…)
I have ordered 4 of them and let you know how it works., maybe for the wiki…

1 Like

Thanks. Before you made this post about a potentially better one, I ordered a few more that I thought were the Kastar link on Amazon. What they sent me is offbrand compared to Kastar which was already cheap, so maybe a knockoff of the cheapest of the cheap. And the Kastar ones worked a while then broke, but these cheapest of the cheap ones say IC smart on them instead of Kastar, and they charge even slower than Kastar from what I can tell (still in the first days using them). Kind of regret getting a few when they’re like that. I’ll probably order from your link too and see if it’s just better.

Edit:

My purchase history suggests Amazon somehow jumped me away from Kastar to whatever else, so it looks like the fault is mine. I probably typed Kastar in a search and bought the first thing that came up. I don’t spend very much time on Amazon.

1 Like

The first thing that comes up on an amazon search is almost never what you are searching for.

1 Like