Tor browser polemic

In general tor browser its free software and not have anti feature in the software, but guix not package the tor browser why its possible install nonfreedom extensions in tor browser, but according to tor browser developers, it is not advisable to install any extension in tor browser, my doubt is, tor browser can be bundled to the Flatpak repository of purism?

Because in-general, true Free Software it not in General, either FOSS. Cheaper programmers :slight_smile:

In short, is there no problem tor browser being added to the Flatpak repository of pureOS?

Not sure, but i guess there is issues adding to PureOS. But as you are the owner, so you can download what ever you want.?

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42380

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2022-11/msg00050.html

See Tor browser is not free software, but open.
If you are on Guix, then just install Icecat+tor and you will ok

Open source or aoftware libre the more impportant for me its its is approved for fsf or no for use

The https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Tor_Browser not speak about the anti features

what? Where did you get that impression?

3 Likes

Add extensions in tor browser not is recomendable, i can add easy

With abrowser in trisquel i can install proprietary extensions too bit i need open the firefox extensions first in abrowser, in tor browser have redirection but tje developers not recommend install nothing extension

OH NO! You are allowed to do what you want with your own FREE SOFTWARE! The world is ending! OMG, I can install my own addons therefore it’s not free software!

Dear lord.

1 Like

I think it would be better to understand the FSF criteria, why that is the criteria they use, then be able to evaluate whether or not all of that is relevant to you and whether or not something meets those requirements yourself.

From what I’ve seen the FSF doesn’t have enough resources to evaluate everything so you may very well be missing out on stuff that would be approved by only looking at their page for what was approved the last time they evaluated that piece of software. Also as things change its possible for something to no longer meet their criteria but not yet be removed from their list of approved things because it is an organization made up of humans and they are capable of making mistakes and/or just not having had time yet or many other things.

As for the TOR browser. It’s about as freedom respecting as they come. I personally find most people think it does things it doesn’t and that causes them to do things they wouldn’t normally do, but that’s less a fault of the technology and more a fault of people.

the guix criterion is more rigid than those of fsf, so even I asked if tor browser can be packaged via Flatpak in the pureOS repository

Tor Browser is both Open Source and Free Software.

I didn’t read the whole topic but had the impression that Tor browser is not tested and perhaps does not even compile (without problems) on ARM64.

1 Like

Well I replied to you saying

Nothing about that post mentioned guix. That said, take my last post and replace fsf with guix and the point is basically the same.

As for whether or not it could be packaged in flatpak and distributed via purism, that’s 100% up to purism. I see no reason not to, aside from the increased overhead and the currently lacking arm variant. As far as I can see it meets all of the requirements Purism has cared about historically.

Compiling for flatpak or getting the flathub tor browaer for the repository

Thanks, but open source is not compatible with free software strictly speaking.

That is not correct, speaking about OSI’s Open Source definition and FSF’s Free Software definition.

Yeap that what it is, that is corrrect. Two diferent things that does not the same.