Tunnel not connecting

Tunnel is not connecting anymore. Could that have to do with PIAs new next Gen servers? I cannot connect to legacy (us-california.privateinternetaccess.com:1198) nor the next Gen (us-california.privacy.network:1198). Please let me know, if someone has a solution for me. It has been about six weeks already. Unfortunately support in the Riot/Element Librem One support group is not existing and email support is also very slow (it can take weeks to get a reply).

I have the same problem and couldn’t solve it yet. I see you posted this 6 days ago and this might be about the same time I started having troubles to connect. I worked a few times in between, but more often than not I can’t connect at all (i.e. today I haven’t been able to connect at all).

There were also a couple of times I could connect, but then simply had no internet access.

I suspected that there was some change to PIA’s infrastructure, and your post seems to confirm this now.

EDIT: I quickly logged into my Purism account and saw that “Renews/Expires” shows the old expiry date of 2020 and not 2021. Maybe there is currently a problem with Purism’s account management so PIA is also not working (I have no clue how the arrangement between Purism and PIA works)?

PIA uses openvpn, right? Might be a dumb question, but have you downloaded the updated config files?

I had the same problem. I contacted Purism and I am now good to go this morning 29 October 2020. They had me use:
us-siliconvalley.privateinternetaccess.com:1198

I redownloaded the certificate, which didn’t solve the problem. However, I was also to fix my issue by using us-west.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 as the gateway, according to https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/guides/linux/linux-ubuntu-installing-openvpn-through-the-gnome-network-manager.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Unfortunately, neither us-west.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 nor us-siliconvalley.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 solve my problem. After some time trying to connect it just fails.

I believe PIA is shutting down its legacy vpn network at the end of the month. All of the *.privateinternetaccess.com servers will not work. I haven’t heard anything about how to switch our Librem.one accounts to the next gen vpn servers. Here is the announcement. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/news/posts/decommissioning-of-legacy-network

I too was have been having issues connecting and checked their list of networks to find an alternative server to the Librem.one default of us-california. Since us-east is closer, I switched to that and was able to log in.

(Edit: this is done in the Settings program under Network. Pick the gear/settings icon for the VPN and look for the “Gateway” under the “Identity” tab. Don’t monkey around with anything else or you’ll need to re-add the VPN like I did.)

I haven’t figured out a way to connect to their new “Gen4” servers and simply using the URL of the new server does not work.

I was using us-chicago and that stopped working and switched to us-east. The point is that list of “Legacy” vpn servers is getting smaller every day. How long until us-east is no longer working. Based on PIA’s sunset announcement Oct 31st was their planned sunset of the Legacy servers. We are currently on borrowed time. Why can’t I post a link to the PIA sunset announcement… thats fishy as hell.
On privateinternetaccess
/blog/private-internet-access-legacy-vpn-network-sunset-announcement-30-september/

It seems like the PIA Knowledgebase now contains an updated archive file with the nextgen server configs for OpenVPN. I tried three config files so far and all of them worked (including US California, which stopped working a while ago).

Thanks, Trubalu.

I had tried this a week or two ago (they were the same then) and it didn’t work with my username/password I can’t remember if I had tried using pia’s ca cert though.

Now it works using Librem One’s generated user/pass AND using PIA’s CA cert.

So either our user/pass got added to PIA’s next gen or I had not tried PIA’s CA but had tried to use the old Librem One ca.