Unable to update battery charge start threshold on Librem 14

I just received my new librem 14 and I am having a problem with battery not being charged. I see my charge_control_start_threshold is set to 57. I tried changing it to 90 as per instructions I found in other threads. But the value is not getting changed. Any ideas on why I am not able to change the value?
Btw I have updated my system with sudo apt full-upgrade.

What exactly did you try?

sudo apt install librem-ec-acpi-dkms

echo 90 | sudo tee

echo 90 | sudo tee -a /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_start_threshold

Even tried to use ‘vi’ to edit the file and save it. But the next time I open it it still has the old value. Like something was preventing that file from being overwritten.

I am trying to get my laptop to start charging. From what I read it won’t start charging until battery percentage drop down to that level.

1 Like

maybe try wrapping the numbers in single quotes, e.g. ‘90’?

just tried and for me this works: echo '95' | sudo tee -a /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_end_threshold

Tried that too

You need to make sure that start_threshold < end_threshold. Setting values not matching this requirement will not work. So you eventually first have to set the end_threshold to a higher value (like 95) before you can set the start_threshold.

Cheers
nicole

2 Likes

That makes so much sense now. Thanks.

I have a similar issue. With my barrel jack charger, the battery will charge to 100%. But when I have the USB C plugged in (100W charger), the battery stops charging at 91%. Are there different commands for the barrel jack cf the USB C charger?

No, power input from type-C and the barrel jack are 100% equivalent.

What are your start and end charge threshold set to? Say, e.g., the end threshold is 100% and start threshold is 90%, once you let it charge (e.g. using the barrel connector) to from something below 90% to full 100% proving your observation. Then you let it run down to 91% and attach the type-C then it would simply not start charging again.

Charging only occurs when the power LED turns green.

Cheers
nicole

1 Like

So if I understand you right, in order to charge it to 100%, I need to start charging from below 91% (which is where it drops to when on the cable)?

Sorry I am such a noob, but what is the command line to find out and change the charging start and end thresholds? I am using Ubuntu (as I need to be bale to share my zoom screen and zoom won’t let PureOS do that), but I imagine the commands would be the same.