Update processor for Librem 13 v2

Hey ya my first post here. I have a Librem 13 V2. I have the Intel core i7 6500U @ 2.5ghz 6th gen processor. I sure wish I had enough to buy the Lib14 Roadwarrior, but unfortunately I don’t have enough money to buy it right now. Instead checking if I’m able to upgrade the processor. Anyone know if it’s possible to upgrade to a 7, 8 or 9 gen processor? any information is helpful thanks!

Doubtful. V3 and 4 moved the kill switches to the side of the frame and I think are directly connected to the mainboard. Meaning the new board wouldn’t fit.

Cost wise it might be cheaper to just try to find a V3 or 4 to buy used.

The OP may have meant: Is the CPU socketed and if so what CPU upgrades are possible?

(It probably isn’t socketed but the only way to know for sure is to open the laptop up, unless someone jumps in with the answer.)

It is nevertheless a reasonable suggestion to consider the alternative approach of getting a used later version of the Librem 13.

The i7 6500U isn’t socketed, so no CPU upgrades are possible. Sadly, the last socketed mobile CPU was Haswell, so it hasn’t been possible to do CPU upgrades on any laptop built since 2013. There are a few companies that sell socketed desktop processors in a laptop, but they are thick and have horrible battery life, like the Alienware m51. Mostly these are made by Clevo or MSI and sold by boutique PC brands like Origin PC or Eurocom.

2 Likes

Just of out curiosity - where would one find a used Librem?

Do a search for “Librem” on ebay. There are currently two Librem 13s for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=librem+laptop&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=librem&_sop=12

1 Like

and asking / searching in this forum can work too. From time to time people advertise wanted-to-sell / wanted-to-buy used Purism hardware e.g. Librem 15v4 for Sale (In Canada) if you are prepared to go 15" (e.g. perhaps mostly for use in a fixed location so ultimate portability of the 13" or 14" is not needed)

1 Like