Updating the kernel && display brightness

I just did a apt update && apt full-upgrade and a new kernel was installed:

Taking backup of imx8mq-librem5-r4.dtb.
Installing new imx8mq-librem5-r4.dtb.
flash-kernel: installing version 6.4.0-1-librem5
Generating boot script u-boot image... done.
Taking backup of boot.scr.
Installing new boot.scr.
purism@pureos:~$ df -kh /boot
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p1  451M  217M  211M  51% /boot
purism@pureos:~$ sudo reboot

The system came up fine but with very reduced display brightness which makes it difficult to enter the disk encryption key and the PIN of the SIM. And only then you have access to the slider to update the brightness again to a normal value.

This is not the first time that this happened. Why modifies a kernel image this configuration? And, how it could be set by a command from a SSH session?

2 Likes

If there’s an issue with brightness before you decrypted the disk, I don’t think you can solve this via SSH since there shouldn’t be running any SSH service in that state.

You can be sure that I’m aware of this. At least for entering the PIN I could have the normal brightness. I will test next time if I could attach an USB keyboard to enter the disk encryption code.

Better would be that this problem with the brightness after kernel update could be solved.

1 Like

This still goes on after an update. The screen becomes so dim one has to go into a closet to see the display and find the “Gear” icon. Then it racks my brain to remember which approximately 2 dozen choices controls the brightness. By luck I choose “Power”.

Remember that … “Power”.

1 Like

You can change the brightness in the pull-down panel

1 Like

Have you tried what you suggest? The pull-down panel is not available when you have to key-in the disk encryption digits.

2 Likes

It still doesn’t change the fact that after an update, the screen brightness goes the damned dimmest setting possible. What’s with that?

1 Like

True, but @tracy was talking about after the phone is fully booted

1 Like