Upgrading coreboot in Qubes 4.0.2

I have a Librem 15v3 running Qubes 4.0.2. My current coreboot version is the one that came installed, 4.7-Purism-4.

My first question is, is it generally recommended to keep coreboot updated with new releases? My assumption is yes, which leads me to my second question…

If I want to upgrade coreboot to the latest version, the resources I can find (e.g. https://puri.sm/coreboot/ and Files · master · firmware / utility · GitLab) are written for PureOS, Debian, or similar OSes.

My question is, what is the best way to upgrade coreboot in Qubes? Is it as simple as running the coreboot updater script in dom0? Or are there other steps to take? (For example, I guess the precompiled firmware image won’t be able to be downloaded in dom0, right?) If anyone has done this I’d love to hear the process!

1 Like

I put PureOS on a USB key and run it live. I created a script you can download and run. It’ll setup all the requirements and then pull Purism’s own utility script that will go thru the process of updating your firmware.

3 Likes

Just finished upgrading - it worked like a charm! Super simple, thanks a lot!