USB Data Blockers for the Librem 5

I recently received a few different models of the PortaPow USB accessories and have posted my test results in the Librem 5 community wiki: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Tested-Accessories#usb-data-blockers.

What is a USB data blocker and why might one want to use one?

USB data blockers permit safe charging without risk of “juice jacking” (data hacking and any risk of viruses being loaded onto your device when charging from an unknown/public USB socket) or other attack vectors over USB by not providing data channels.

I’m not endorsing PortaPow and PortaPow is not the only one that sells accessories like these. It’s just the vendor I chose to try since I’ve heard a bit about them.

2 Likes

It may help to clarify what “works” means. Obviously it must be possible to charge successfully but did you verify that data is being blocked for any or all of the models that you found to work.

2 Likes

Fair point. I’ll adjust the wiki section to clarify what I have found.

2 Likes

I’ve removed the “Works?” column and replaced it with “Delivers Power?” and “Blocks Data?” columns. I’ve also added a brief note on how I tested each model to check the data blocking capability.

3 Likes

Nice work.

Really seems like the kind of optional accessory that Purism should be offering in the store. It’s probably not something that I strictly need (always either charging from mains power using the supplied charger or charging in the car using an adapter on the cigarette lighter port, neither of which power source can be compromised) but for some scenarios it would be handy.

3 Likes

In some places, such as airports, they may offer charging stations, but not with AC outlets or they may all be used up by other people, leaving only the USB ports. I wouldn’t trust the USB ports on those things ever, but if I desperately needed to charge my device on one of those, I would use one of these.

4 Likes

“charge only” USB cables have been available for years. I wonder if “data blocker” USB cables have higher prices foe having fewer wires.

1 Like

I believe “charge only” cables are the same thing as the PortaPow cables don’t have the data wires built into them so there should be no way for them to transmit data theoretically and only be able to provide power.

I think it’s useful to share which data blockers work because there are many fake data blockers out there.

According to PortaPow’s website, they have been specializing in data blocker cables since 2009 so these things are not a new concept, however, not everyone is aware of them, such as my parents.

The Hak5 shop has a few different USB pentesting (note: intentionally malicious) products, such as this fake data blocker or this USB-A to C F/M adapter.

1 Like

From perusing Mastodon, I found out that there are public facilities with USB charging ports, more than I had assumed.

There are a few that are concerned about the security implications but many of them are ignored or dismissed.

1 Like

Dismissed until potential becomes reality for them? I would have thought that there have been enough attacks of this general nature to recognise that this is a genuine threat.

(So far I haven’t managed to find a local supplier of a USB-C data blocker, but I haven’t looked too hard as it is not a pressing need for me. amazon.com.au has that make. I would really like to find a different make so that I could add to the wiki.)

1 Like

I’ve had one of these red “USB-condoms” for a decade or so. Good addition while traveling - who knows what your device might catch from random holes you may have to plug it. Always maintain good (cyber)hygiene with USB too.

Btw. if you don’t have one handy, for safe charging, alternatively you can also charge your power bank and then charge your device from that (possibly, you may be able to use powerbank as condom but I have no idea if a particular powerbank is made to block data - intentionally or not).

2 Likes