USB to RJ45 - Libre hardware?

Hi guys,

considering that Librem laptops come without Rj45 port, do you know about any USB adapter that has privacy/security in mind?

Thanks

Someone posted an article that said when they dropped the RJ-45 from the 15, it shipped with a USB to Ethernet adapter, so one does exist. tagging @mladen and @nicole.faerber since they’re the only names I remember from Purism off the top of my head XD

I can’t confirm that the Librem 15rev2 came with a USB to Ethernetadapter. At least mine did not.

USB-to-Ethernet adapter was complemented to all people who pre-ordered old revisions and got new ones.

This one here is tested and known to work out-of-the box: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0

1 Like

quite literally the one I’ve been curious about myself. Thanks!

Thank you @mladen.
However, beside that I don’t think is a good idea to buy from Amazon considering how they are aggressive with cookies and profile tracking, is this adapter using libre hardware/firmwares?

Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but the question of zeno isn’t answered yet, so is there an adapter to buy which can be used in a libre environment?

What I would do is invite you to look at the product listed. Do it through Tor if you must. Then go to the manufacturers page and check it out. You should be able to answer your question by doing a little research on your own.

I use this adapter: Delock Adapter SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1) with USB Type-C™ male > Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mbps

Reasons:

• USB 3.1
  • German manufacturer
  • Taiwanese chipset
  • Works out of the box (open source drivers available)
2 Likes

Well I researched the internals of the linked AmazonBasics product already, which uses the AX88179 as the controller but I cannot find any information if it has some kind of firmware on this controller. Many other controllers I know use them, for instance for harddrives, or usb-ports.

The reason why I was asking again actually.
Maybe it should have been this question:
Does a usb-to-ethernet adapter needs a firmware in general or is the driver the only software component needed? Wifi-cards for example are running with an integrated firmware most of the time, Realtek devices for example.

And no - I’m not paranoid :slight_smile: It’s more a ideological decision, the same as buying a Purism Laptop, so bear with me if I’m interested in little things like this.

And thanks @Rudolph for the hint to another device.

Yes, it’ll need a driver. Sometimes the driver is provided by the OS, and sometimes the driver is made universal in that you just plug it in and it is all automatic. In either case a driver is required.

Nothing wrong with trying to figure this all out. I hope I didn’t come across as being dismissive of that.