Using Jumpdrive for backing up files or folders question

I tried to make a back up of my home drive of my L5, by using Jumpdrive.
Most of the files or folders are being copied fine, but some aren’t.
An “access denied” popup appears.
I understand the cause for this isue, but how can I workaround it without compromising the access rights on the L5?

1 Like

Do it as root on the host computer?

But if you have a complete backup of the entire eMMC drive (already obtained by using Jumpdrive), you don’t really need a separate backup of /home from the eMMC drive.

2 Likes

Does this mean I need to start “files” with sudo from the terminal app?

In answering your remark on “having an image”:
That’s correct, but for the (future) release of Crimson, an image will not work.

Thererfore I think I need a copy of my homedrive instead of an image.

1 Like

May or may not work but in principle yes. Certainly something to try. Otherwise do the copy from the command line.

In theory it is not sound just to restore ~ after a reflash. Whether it works depends on the size of the differences between the two versions - and that in turn depends also on how many applications are storing ‘stuff’ in your home directory. However even a safer restore would need a backup of your old home directory to work from.

You can, if you wish, selectively restore your home directory from an image of your entire eMMC drive. (That will have the same potential problems though. I am just pointing out that you don’t need the separate backup.)

2 Likes

Indeed, that my be risky but I don’t see a better approach to keep your data after flashing a new and different OS, unless a migration tool is offered.

Restoring files from a Jumpdrive image:
I did not know that: How can this be done?

1 Like

On the host computer: Use losetup to create a loop device from the disk image then use cryptsetup to open the LUKS container. Then you have the root file system of the eMMC drive (as it was at the time of the backup) available on the host computer and you can copy whatever you need (to the current eMMC drive, assuming that you still have Jumpdrive booted on the phone).

If you have a uSD card inserted in the phone and you have enough space on the uSD card then the disk image could be on the uSD card, in which case the exact same commands could be used directly on the Librem 5. However I have seen cases where replacing ~ while using it can cause the software to get confused.

1 Like

Cool, I’m gonna give it a try.

1 Like