Vagrant with libvirt OR virtualbox anyone?

Hi,
Has anyone gotten vagrant to work with virt-man on pureos ( amber) and/or gotten virtualbox to run ?

On my Librem15 i can run pretty much anything in qemu/libvirtd/virt-man
I had refused to install vmware or virtualbox.
I have converted windows and bsd and weird-azz linux boot-to-pwn linux distros to work with qemu and its great.

But now I need to “up” a “vagrant” file whatever that means.
I need to run a metasploitable vagrant thingie that should start a windows 2008 server and some Ubuntu tomcat box apparently.

I can not get vagrant to work with qemu so i installed virtualbox
but virtualbox crashes with:

vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
/sbin/vboxconfig
as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

And dmesg says stuff like:

vboxdrv: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
module: x86/modules: Skipping invalid relocation target, existing value is nonzero for type 1, loc 00000000453e837a, val ffffffffc14395cf

I have no idea what that means actually.
Has anyone gotten either of these to work? Did I just spoil the purity of my pureos apt sources for nothing ?
Thanks !
-nonatrib

I think your main problem is the result of mixing the VM tools since you can only have one of them active at the time since they try to access the same hardware resources.
To get virtual box to run you more or less have to at least disable if not uninstall qemu/libvirt.
There is a plugin for vagrant called vagrant-libvirt that enables vagrant to up(start) libvirt boxes but there are not that many pre-build boxes available in the box repo.
Within the Vagrant file you can find the box “string/path” of the boxes and then try to get the libvirt version of them via `vagrant box add “string/path” --provider=libvirt
Since libvirt can handle nested virtualization you might be able to install vagrant and virtualbox within a VM and run it there without ruining your qemu setup in the PureOS
If you figure out which boxes are loaded by the vagrant file you might also be able to convert them into the libvirt format and then run them via qemu/libvirt.
Just as a final note I’ve never run vagrant on PureOS but use it in combination with libvirt quite extensively on fedora

1 Like

Thanks, that makes sense as to why i cant use virtualbox.
But I use libvirt daily and I am happy with it .

As far as provisioning vagrant with libvirt -
I had already tried to use the libvirt plugin but it gave me an error.
Also vagrant still exits saying that virtualbox is complaining about its kernel module.
I am mainly pisssed t myself for breaking down and trying to install virtualbox because I knew better.
And I cant uninstall it as easily as i installed it because ironically its a “Virtual package”
Anyway , i will try with vagrant at some point after i remove all the virtualbox packages etc
For now i have moved on.
thanks again !