Vainfo returns null

Helo,

I wanted to play something with kodi. But kodi crashes:

libva info: VA-API version 1.18.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri/mxsfb-drm_drv_video.so
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri/intel-vaapi-driver/mxsfb-drm_drv_video.so
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/GL/lib/dri/mxsfb-drm_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
/app/bin/kodi: Zeile 182:     7 Speicherzugriffsfehler  ${KODI_BINARY} $SAVED_ARGS
Crash report available at /home/purism/.var/app/tv.kodi.Kodi/data/kodi_crashlog-20231105_193154.log

Looks like libva doesn’t work properly.

I’ve installed libva2, libva-drm2, libva-glx2, libva-wayland2 and libva-x11-2.

What I have to do to get it work?

purism@pureos:~$ vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

2 Likes

I not really sure for what machine you talk about but VA-API it just for INTEL and AMD HARD-ACCEL Video GPUs only, for embedded machine like Librem5 it using V4L2-API. Also Librem 5 it is not to play/install KODI Together with Gnu PureOS.

Thanks.

Purism Community.

1 Like

Why not? I can install Kodi via Flathub and it works great. Except of the problem with libva. Kodi just doesn’t play videos at high resolution and it crashes. That the only thing that doesn’t work. The rest works really great.

1 Like

And how to tell Kodi to use that?

1 Like

Complex Hard Limit.

I not sure but i guess that Kodi it need a rebuild with vaapi disabled and enable v4l2api, and i guess that Kodi it using flag v4l2m2m to ffmpeg, so thanks to cheaper evils-opensource devs from debian m2m api it disabled in PureOS so you will need to build ffmpeg too to enable m2m api.
At this point it better to you launching kodi by Console and telling to not using vaapi, so in the way you still will using Cpu Neon acceleration. I hope things will change at Crimson.

Thanks

Purism Community

1 Like